1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil change questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Brad M., Mar 19, 2003.

1. Brad M.

Brad M. Member
    from Texas

What brand of oil does the factory use on a 2003 2500HD? Last night I changed the oil for the first time and was curious as to where the oil should be on the dip stick after new oil and filter. The stick has 5 black dots on it, should the level be just above the last dot? Quite sure everything was drained before I replaced the oil and filter. Don't want too much oil in there right? Added 6 quarts and a PF44 filter. Thanks folks and take care...
  2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut PlowSite Veteran

There has been some confusion on GM's part about how much oil should be in the 6L V8's. The owners manual says 6quarts, but when I got my oil changed by the dealership they put in 6 and a half quarts. Apparently they have found that and extra half a quart is beneficial. I'm sure one of the guys here will have an answer. By the way on my dipstick the oil is about a half inch about the top dot. I think they should issue new dipsticks to all owners.
  3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I overheard the GM parts guy the other day, I think they use Mobil oil. At leas thats thw I think is in the bottle that are labeled "GM MOTOR OIL" or whatever they are labeled, lol

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Actually, GM recommend motor oil that have certified seal on it. Quaker State is one of few oil in market that have certified seal on it. That is what my service dept. use when they change my truck's oil.

Right above the top dot is the full line for oil on the dipstick.
  5. Brad M.

Brad M. Member
    from Texas

You can see the checkering on the stick but after filling it with 6 quarts and filter the level was about a 1/4 inch above the last dot. This was after starting the truck for a minute or so and then letting the truck sit for a bit before checking. Just trying to get a feel where it should be when checking the oil while filliing this thirsty beast up.