1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oil change question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Banksy, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Here's a very debatable topic. I changed my F250's oil in September at 2600 miles to get the new stuff out. I have 4100 miles on it today. About 5 months since first oil change. I'm going to put 1800 miles on it within the next 4 weeks. For those who don't frequently use a vehicle, do you go by the months and miles whichever come first rule or miles regardless? 7 quarts of motorcraft oil and filter from Wally world is cheap enough to do 3 times a year, so it may be a pointless thread, but I couldn't help debating myself this morning while staring at the wall of oils.

2. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

As 4 me, in the cars I have that I very rarely drive... It kinda depends on the vehicle, its history, how I drive it when I do drive it. So with that being said.. I would change it if I were U. As a last resort rule, I always stick with 2500-3000 mile or 3-4 months, witch ever comes first is when I usually try stick around that time frame.

3. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I had a Camaro that I polished more than I drove. I used to change it once a year in the spring after I drove it the first time, in case the oil picked up any contaminants from storage.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

One of my trucks only sees about 300km a year, (it's a back up) I only change it once a year, and I really have to think about doing the filter.
    I've never seen an expiry date on oil on the shelf and this always made me wonder if they really only have a 3-4 month time frame to turn it over or whether it's a rouse to get consumers to buy more. :confused: More mileage and I definitely would change it more often.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Every Nov and Apr I can in my trucks and them have less then 3,000 keeps the moisture out of the oil if your not using it much.

6. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

My dad has a car that sits, I go by the month even if there is only 500 miles on it. I am not a mechanic or anything but I always assumed over time the oil breaks down like anything else and is not as effective. That's just me and I may be over doing it,but I feel more comfortable doing it that way, like you said, its a small price to pay

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I went ahead and changed it. The oil had the color of maple syrup, so it was still clean.

I have an ATV that only gets any real use once a year for ice fishing two weeks straight. It sits in my basement most of the year (except for yard work) and the oil seems to attact or collect moisture from sitting. It get's a hint of tan color with a little bit of this white snot looking stuff sometimes. The coolant and oil level never change and there's no oil in the coolant, so it must be from lack of use.

Good discussion on a worn out topic.

8. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

My f250 I don't use that much I go by months every 3-4 months I buy motorcraft oil from Walmart

9. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

your lucky , try a 6.0 diesel . 3.5 GALLONS + a 21.00 oil filter .

yes , we change the oil every 3000 miles . Your engine depends on it . Thumbs Up

10. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. However, the proposed logic is that it is not sealed, and/or that contaminants from the little driving that you do get all that time to do their work on it.

11. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

From what I've been told, at 6 months the crankcase vapors begin to break down the oil and it loses viscosity. I use the 6 months or 5000 mile rule.

12. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would agree if your not driving the miles then change the oil at the recommended time interval. Then there is no worries about moisture in the oil. Oil is a very key ingredient for engine life and is a relatively low cost maintenance item.

13. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

If really want to know whats going on with your oil, you can always pu.ll an oil sample and have it tested. Catapilar does a good thorough test, or if you check around you may be able to find someone else that tests it. It's not that expensive to have it tested and it's way cheaper than replacing an engine in the middle of the season when you really need it.

14. theholycow

That's a great point. I've gotten analyses from Blackstone Labs, but it never occurred to me to do that for oil that's been sitting for that long that I just didn't know if it needs changing.

15. GrowingSeasons

GrowingSeasons Junior Member

oils cheap compared to a rebuild. every 3000 miles or at least once a year is how i look at it...and on the diesel i go by hours this time of year when they're doing a lot of idling i change it every 3000 miles or 200-250 hours which ever is first 6.0's and 6.4's don't like old oil and they usually show that by sending a #2 rod throw the block

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  16. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Your right, oil is cheaper than a rebuild, But oil is not a cure all or prevent all. Just because you change your oil doesn't mean you won;t get worn bearings, rings or seals. And when your engine craps out at 2:00 AM with six inches of snow on the ground, "how did this happen" is not the first thing to enter my mind. And hears another one for you. Have you ever had the trans oil tested,OR CHANGED? Honestly now. Thats something that gets overlooked quite often. Or how bout the oil in the rears, and transfer case. We pull oil samples every 3 years, And it has paid off.

17. theholycow

Gotta agree with geer hed. It is popular to fixate on changing engine oil too often and using engine oil that's excessively expensive, but the reality is that it's far too much effort wasted with no gain (vs. a more reasonable effort), while other stuff goes neglected -- especially transmissions and differentials. Junkyards are full of engines that never suffered any failure that could have been prevented by more often/better quality oil changes and plenty of transmissions that died from neglect.

18. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Local earthmoving company here has no maintenance plan and alot of equiptment. Turns out a new ford v10 can have right around 30k mi on original oil before it craps out. So just change your oil around 25k, or every three years, and you'll be fine. :laughing: