1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil capicity

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SnowMatt13, Jan 9, 2003.

1. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

just a little piece of info for the Chevy owners... the 6.0L engines in the new Silverado's take 6 and a half quarts of oil. Owners manual says 6. Had my oil changed a while back. about a 1000 before it was due again, I pulled the dipstick and found it to be low. Added 1/2 quart and was fine. was concerned a bit about oil consumption so early in the trucks life. next time i told them to check and sure enough it took 6 1/2 quarts to get to the full line. Been fine for 10K now
  2. long0

long0 Senior Member

Are you sure that the truck did not burn that 1/2 quart?
    Assuming you change you oil at 3000 mile intervals, you would have put 2000 miles on without checking it. I would be more inclined to think that the truck burned that oil, and 6 quarts is the correct amount of oil.

Either way, we should all be checking our oil everytime we put fuel in the truck. Problems can and do happen. If somebody did not tighten the oil filter tight enough, because of a hot maifold. They did not tighten the drain plug to the correct spec ect.

We are willing to go out and spend $30,000 plus on a new truck. Just the dollar amount alone gives me the incentive to check my oil.

3. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Speaking from experience... When you have someone else change your oil. IMMEDIATLY check the filter, drain plug and oil level, OH you might as well do it yourself.

Bought a new 7.3 powerstroke, Always change my own oil, but the dealer offered the first free oil change coupon free. A month after I bought it, and the DAY AFTER I had the oil changed. Lost power on the highway, no noise, just the oil fired injectors on the diesel not working, coast to the side of the road, watch 15 quarts of oil cover the road (Floyd Hill Andy:D ), Waited 2 hours for a tow (I had my trailer too) 3 hours at the dealer screaming, a letter from Ford acknowleding the "error", a complete vehicle detail, a bill for hazmat cleanup submitted to Ford. A fiasco. Check your oil frequently.

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut PlowSite Veteran

I've heard too many horror stories about others changing oil, so I have always done it myself. You also know what brand of oil is going in. I always check my oil level every 2 or 3 days.
  5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I know that the dealer forgot the 1/2 quart, because I've had 4 oil changes since then, with them adding 6 1/2 quarts, and have had no problem. I got scared so know I check it weekly and it's fine. I only let the dealer change the oil because I work there. I do check it right away after they change it though because I've seen a few free engines go into vehicles where mechanics forgot to tighten the filter and/or drain plug