1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

oil burner

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 73 chevy, Oct 29, 2003.

1. 73 chevy

73 chevy Junior Member

a little help plz. my chevy truck with350-4bolt is burning oil. if i rev it up alittle dont see much smoke but the exhaust just smell terrible. a guy i work with says to put a dollar on tailpipe and see if it sucks in if so i have a bad valve. my truck runs pretty good but the oil does drop down from start up 50 down to i guess 5 to 10 no number there. going down road will go up to 25 little more.if anyone has any idea that would be great?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd do a compression check first,to make sure the motor is still in decent shape.If it is,then try a set of valve stem seals.They can be replaced easily on the truck without pulling the engine apart.

Check the oil pressure with a reliable mechanical gauge.5-10 psi at hot idle is OK.You should see about 10 PSI per 1000 RPM.

3. 73 chevy

73 chevy Junior Member

thanks wyldman. would bad valve stem seals do anything to oil pressure? i'm hoping saturday to have a little time to try compression test. if i have say one low reading is it a good chance the seal is the problem, or would i have to do more tests? thanks again.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Valve stems seals will do nothing for oil pressure or low compression.You oil pressure doesn't sound too bad,and if it was too low,you'd hear it knocking or ticking.

If you get a cyl or two that are low when you do the compression test,the valve stem seals won't fix it.It's either a valve not seating properly or bad rings.If this is the case,then engine disassembly is required to make the proper repairs.

5. 73 chevy

73 chevy Junior Member

satuday or sunday i'll do the compression test. if i have a low reading is there a test that can pinpoint the problem more or is it time to tear into the engine? i'm hoping all reads well. the valve stem seals look like a easy enough job for me to do. anything else i'll have to search for some help.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you get a low reading,squirt some oil into that cylinder,and retest it.If it comes back up,then it's most likely bad rings.If it doesn't,it's a valve problem.