1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ohio valley winter is over

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kipcom, Feb 21, 2004.

1. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

See you all next winter..... :waving:

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

You're giving up that easy?:confused:

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

The buzzards are in the air...Spring is here...Chuck

4. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I cant wait for winter to be over too!!! snow is a bout gone only plow piles left. you know there is Lawn site for the summer.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We still got that yearly mid March storm to go. It's depressing to see the weather report every night! There is a 30% chance of snow or rain Tuesday, the rest of the week is clear and warmer.
    It's the 21's of Feb and I have $350 of billable plowing done for the month. Last year, that was one days worth! Not even a great lake effect snow this year. I just got the new route down to 40 min a place and it quits snowing!
    Guess I should get the mowers ready for action. Sure sign of spring is the mulch pallets start showing up at the gas stations.
    And they are!

6. IndySnowPlowers

IndySnowPlowers Member
    from Indiana

Yeah...believe the snow is not coming our way until next year. Only 2 pushes...no biggie...we made up for it last year!

Time to move over to lawnsite.com and get ready to throw mulch around!

who know, I always think we'll get a snow in March. Never fails around here, but honestly I am thinking green. Ready to get at it.

INDY

WWW.INDYSNOWPLOWERS.COM
    www.indypropertycare.com

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

And just a week ago or so, everyone was worried about the availability of salt. I'd just like another event to get rid of the salt I still have.:drinkup: payup

Last edited: Feb 22, 2004
  8. dluckett

dluckett Junior Member
    from SW Ohio

Yep, It never fails we just got a late delivery of bags, about 45000 lbs and now it looks like we will be looking at it through the green season...

9. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

The guy I plow our church with just told me yesterday that on Tuesday he is going to pick up 2 more pallets of triple melt? I asked why. I'm worried about getting rid of the pallet that I have. He says, maybe we can use it on the Church lot. I'm thinking that if we have an event, I'm going to use it on the full paying retail customers, not the Church for cost.:confused:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2004
  10. dluckett

dluckett Junior Member
    from SW Ohio

We would have been fine as far as salt stock but when we had our delivery scheduled the bagger at Morton was broke down and we had to go directly to the supplier and get about 9 pallets. That got us through the last event and now we have about 20 on hand and should have only 8 or 9.

11. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you are as big as it seems, you probably have a place to store all that salt, so you will probably be alright, other than having a couple of thousand bucks tied up, which is not good. We were supposed to have something maybe on Wed, but that has now changed, again. The forcast seems to change about 3 or 4 times a day. I just find it hard to believe that the winter was over on Feb 7-8, that was our last event in Central Ohio. I've got some landscaping work to do, however the ground is still frozen after you get down a couple of inches, and I can't lay stone walls or install landscape timbers when the ground is frozen. This is always a bad time of the year, kind of in between, if you know what I mean.

12. dluckett

dluckett Junior Member
    from SW Ohio

I'm right with you there.. My brother's guys started on a new project this past week, stone walls and some planting beds. They had to break out the mini ex to egt the footers in. I stopped by one of the maintenance jobs and in some places bed edging was like chipping ice.... the ground was frozen the first 5-6 inches in parts where the sun doesn't hit it. Hope this year is more profitable that last for all of us...

13. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Dont' worry fellas, there's more to come. Remember the groundhog said 6 more weeks of winter, that means more snow. Finally there's snow in the upcoming days in our forecast. Halleluia:D

14. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Looks like its pretty much over for us here in connecticut also_Only time i plowed this month was on the 6th and now up to march 3rd they show no chances for snow :( .The temps are supposed to stay around freezing and colder at night so i cant really start any spring work yet either.I was hoping for one or two more storms but what can you do...

15. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Hey now, we got a light dusting today, [​IMG] big deal, I agree, it is suppose to be around 50 here by next Friday, I'm going to [​IMG] the weather man. I want one or two more events, I'm still hungry !!!

16. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

Plow , salter , and salt were removed from truck today . Its the only way I know to change our snow luck .

17. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

We unloaded most of the salt out of both trucks today, I think I can sell the pallet that I have left. As soon as I do that, we'll have an event. Then I won't be able to find any salt and then I still won't make any money. I'm like you, trying to change our luck. I still can't help but to believe that we will have at least 1 more event. We have had some pretty good snows in March, and about 12 years ago we had a heck of a snow in April.:confused:

18. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Got till MAY for me...

19. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Heck, by May, we will have a month of mowing in. I can make more money with snow though. Come on snow or ice!!

20. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We are getting a "teaser" snow right now. Just light dust falling and melting on the warm pavement. One weatherman said 1-3 tonight. I hope not, truck's sitting with a business desk in the back, plows in the garage and it has 1/8 tank of gas and no ballast in the bed.