1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ohio Snow and Ice Thread 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Weather' started by 496 BB, Sep 19, 2011.

1. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Well finally we catch a glimpse as to what MAY happen this year. Im liking it so far. We are about due for a great winter here. Last year we were pretty much exactly at average for the area which was 27.xx". I think the biggest amount we got at once was maybe 5"-6" in one storm. Rest was just chicken sh!t.

Anyways thought Id share..... http://snowday.community.officelive.com/default.aspx

Next report out is on October 16th.

2. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  3. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

funny i was just wondering what they were saying about this up coming winter and saw this thread. hope we get a good one!

4. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I plan on working on my spreader this weekend and the plow shortly after just got the garage cleaned out so I can start working

5. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

In for 2011-2012!

6. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Yep Im bout ready to go to. Just changed pumps to electric solenoid and made a wiring harness from scratch. Now all I gotta do is hook up the plow and flush the whole system. Got plans for my lightbar Im making also just need to find time to order the parts. Will be pretty nice when its done and all for less than $300. Then of course little things here and there.

I have a feeling and have had it that fall will be short if not skipped like spring was. Im not doing all this in the cold again like last year...lol.

7. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Well finally got to flushing all rams and pump and all is good for now. Thing is alot faster side to side. Now debating to add a third battery when I change em out. This 140 amp alternator is not cutting it and its as big as I can go for a v belt. Wish I would have gotten around to the LS engine swap this year.

8. KevinClark

KevinClark Senior Member

I get alot of draw from my plow operation. Lights dim, blower slows. I was thinking of adding the 2nd battery my truck was set up to have...... Will this help with this issue? I have the high output alt. Thanks

9. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

yes adding another battery will help with the dimming and every thing i did it and my lights dont dim at all any more and it helps me in the summer for my auido system i also put in a isolater to keep the drawon the batteries separated

10. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Yea adding a second battery will most certainly help with draw. Make sure you get 2 new ones though and both same exact size. Mis matching and different year makes lowers the expectancy life. No need for an isolator either. Research it on here and you will see why. I think Mike (B&B) did an in depth post on it somewhere. Ive never ran an isolator and works just fine.

Im bout to get triple 1000 CCA batteries in here. As dumb as it sounds I think Im gonna go with the Walmart brand. Thats whats in there now from when I bought the truck and they are mis matched and they worked great last year. Matching them up and adding more amps and I should be golden. Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Control which also makes a bunch of others such as Interstate. There is only about 3 companies that make all batteries. Johnson actually bought out Delphi batts which made AC Delco. Also Duralast seen in Autozone stores, Diehard - sold in Sears, Kirkland - the Costco brand, Motorcraft - which Ford sells, some of the EverStarts (Walmart), and Interstate.

Ive researched it and there is no real clear winner on whos the best. Everyone has had different opinions and experiences with all makes. Kinda like buying a new truck. I figure if these work great....if not then I didnt spend a sh!t ton on buying em but I think they will be just fine.

11. Anthony@CCL

Anthony@CCL Senior Member

We cant wait for it to snow! All the equipment is working properly and ready to go!

12. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I've been so busy I haven't had time to freshen the equipment up. Gotta get to it soon! Nice to see you all again.

13. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Was going to just touch up the surface rust spots on the plow and end up over half the damn paint flakes off. Now going to prime and paint for this season and sand blast it next year. Was going to use Sunrise Red to paint but now thinking Im gonna go Blue to go with truck. Hate red...lol.

14. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Blue would be unique.

15. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

We'll see. Gotta be better than damn red. Maybe I'll write "Get the F%^& out of the way" on it too... :D

16. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I like it!

17. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Is it snowing today yet? Damn its cold out. Was gonna go pick apples with our niece tomorrow but they may be all damaged by then.

18. NickT

NickT Senior Member

What's up BB,yeah its cold almost turned the heat on this morning, but I'm to cheap, told the kids to bundle up, soon winter will be here are u ready?

19. KevinClark

KevinClark Senior Member

Cold isn't the word for it.... Here in the Youngstown area the feel like temp is 40. I keep looking out to see if there are snow flakes falling. We are getting closer and closer to the plow season. Have a great weekend guys!

20. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Yea Im all set. Been doing it in the short amount of free time I do have. Going to put on a coat of paint today and I should be set other than the lighting.

You guys remember the old plows back in the day where the headlights were round and had the turn signal come off the side? Like this.... http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTskwFLzZfGKCZMLQyrbCu8eFHWYRrxz6ID2Nsp4yYzcW0C1OA6 Thats what Im thinking about doing with mine. I hate the rectangle ones on there. They suck and even if I convert them to HID they prolly will still suck. Im gonna get some 6" stainless steel KC lights and get some old Triumph motorcycle long shaft turn signals and put em all together. Then I will put HIDs in them. My truck has enough lift that I can run regular headlights on the truck side if these are too bright but I think I can angle them so they wont be. People should stay home when its snowing anyways...lol. What you think about those? Yea or nay? Heres the truck they going on..... [​IMG]

And yea I was going to hold out on the heat too but since my wife gave me her damn cough and cold I woke up to pee at 4am and it was like 64* in here. So damn cold I pissed all over my balls since it was in turtle mode.