1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ohio sales tax

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by OhioPlower, Jan 12, 2010.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I was wondering if you ohio guys are charging sales tax on plowing? Ive heard yes, no, ive heard only salting, and I asked my accountant today and she said only if I have more than 5K in sales to charge sales tax. So whats the truth???

2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

ummm no....every reciept gets charged sales tax bud...salting, plowing, and any type of landscaping....you are reporting it arent you?

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Everything get charged sales tax. No if's and's or but's.

4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

side walks don't get taxed .
    So I just charge it with plowing so if it changes I don't care . every county you work in is different. mine is 6.5

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Every state is different but I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that accountant of yours is smoking some strong ****.In NY,as in most states that have a sales tax,services as well as property[except real property--ie:real estate] are taxable.Plowing and salting/sanding are services.It's very easy to plead ignorance but do yourself a favor and call the Ohio Sales Tax Dep't. first thing tomorrow and find out all about it.You'll need to get a sales tax authority which enables you to be in compliance.

6. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

www.ohio.gov search it...and yes you are required to charge tax (which is bullsh$$)...the gov'nt has their hand in everything

7. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Thanks guys. I have been charging sales tax on mowing and plowing since ive been in business a few years ago. Yes I claim everything, have a registered business, have million dollar liability insurance etc. I got into a debate with another contractor about it a couple months ago, it looks like I was right, and im sending out bills here soon so I wanted to get that cleared up. Thanks again

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  8. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

id send that bozo contractor you got into an arguement a bill for wasting your time! lol

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

No sales tax in WI.:p

10. carl b

from Ohio

was this for me ?

If so why ?

Like I said I charge tax on plowing . you don't have to charge it on walk thats why I bill them walks as plowing. It saves alot of b.s. paper .

As for the 5k a year .
    I learned that if you make over 5 k than you must pay monthly . If you make under than you only have to pay quarterly.

11. Rickslawn

Rickslawn Junior Member
    from midwest

why are sidewalk exempt?? That confusing..

12. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

Wrong, if you collect over $200 a month in sales taxes, you need to file monthly.

And everything you do has sales tax attached, unless you do work for a church or non-profit.

Find a new accountant. :drinkup:

13. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

He's sorta a buddy of mine, we drink a few beers together every once in awhile.

14. tuney443

Yes,it was for you.Why would removing snow on sidewalks in Ohio be tax exempt?Makes no sense.As for the $5K a year,thats definitely not what you first said,thus my smoking comment.

15. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

16. tuney443

Excavation in Ohio is considered a taxable service according to your link.I was surprised that there's not an exemption if the excavation is part of a ''capital improvement''.In NY,a capital improvement[with the correctly completed capital improvement form filled out by the client and kept on file by the contractor] is non-taxable.

17. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

I appologize for being wrong. I remember having a booklet a few years back and that's what it said. Time for a new booklet to be sent to me! Thanks Tuney

18. carl b

from Ohio

we have never made less than $200 per month or 5k per year so I've all ways paid monthly thats why i was wrong

yep i looked at the site $200 per month is correct .:drinkup:

I'm lost on what your saying here my first post said notating about 5 k .

could anyone give me a link to where it says plowing is taxed ? I haven't seen the paper work in a few years but in 99 when i was doing the sales tax I saw no tax on walks . thats why i bill them with plowing .

19. carl b

from Ohio

so you all know every thing .but, a direct like to the sales tax laws on snowplowing ?

20. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

This is my question, on the collecting more than $200 a month tax. Is it like an average? Say you collect 300 in taxes one month and 50 in another for example. Im assuming they do the average thing.