1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ohio guys wonder why they can't make money plowing driveways!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Sep 27, 2008.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Cutbacks Planned For Snow Removal Program
    By tallmadgeexpress.com
    9/26/2008
    Print This Story E-Mail This Story Save This Story

TALLMADGE, Ohio -- Due to higher-than-expected costs of a free snow-plowing service it offered last year, the city is downsizing the program this winter to help only those who can't afford it.

Last year the city plowed the driveways for residents 65 and older and disabled residents who did not have an able-bodied person in their home to do it.

The city anticipated a little more than 100 residents would sign up for the program, but was surprised and somewhat overwhelmed last year to be clearing snow out of about 530 driveways, said Kline. The city budgeted $20,000 for the service, but ended up instead paying $22,000 for it, with funds from the general fund and service department budget.

So this year, the city is only allowing people to register if they cannot afford their own private plowing service, said Public Service Director Dave Kline. Registrants must show proof of age and sign an affidavit stating they can't afford the service, Kline added.

Kline said his department doesn't have the time or personnel to check on the financial status of every applicant, but said he expects residents to be honest.

"If applicants don't abide by the rules or we find out they were fraudulent on their application, we have the option to remove them from the program," Kline said.

After a snow emergency, which is when it snows more than 4 inches, the city sends out hired private snow companies to remove snow from the residents' driveways within 24 hours, said Kline, who noted the city's snow trucks would not be used.

Eligible residents can sign up Sept. 15 until Oct. 3 at the service department office in City Hall, the Recreation Center or the Community Center, he said.

Those who qualify for the service because of physical or mental disability should present a completed certificate of disability exemption at the time of applying, he said. They, too, will have to sign an affidavit pledging that there aren't any able-bodied people available to remove snow in the home.

Residents who received the free service last year are not automatically signed up this year and must go to one of the three designated places to sign up, Kline said.

The program will start when the first snow emergency happens and last the duration of the "snowy season" until April, Kline said.

The city will not plow a driveway if the homeowner has plans to be out of town for the winter, he added.

"You must own and occupy your home during the winter months to receive the service," he noted, adding, residents in condominiums and apartments are not eligible for the service.

Last year, the service cost the city about $12 to $15 per driveway, and Kline said he will go out to bid for private contractors after Oct. 3, the last day to sign up.

For more information, call the city's public service department 330-633-0854.

Friday, September 26, 2008

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Where did u find this?

I didnt even know this was done

3. grandview

My Ohio division of snowplowing takes care of this . That's why I'd rather have it snow there then here!;)

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I didn't think snow wan an emergency.

5. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

OK Can we see a fleet Pic of your Ohio Division>?

6. grandview

I assume you mean "was". Hey, they need to get out to get the free cheese they give away!

7. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Free Cheese where?

8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

the city I work in plows driveways for senior citizens for free......

9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

They don't offer anything like that in my township or village. But when someone calls the village for snowplowing they give out my number.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats funny right there. :D

11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yep snow... big emergancy

12. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Being the financial guru I am..... 530 drives at a total of $22000 is like $41.50 a piece.

You mean to tell me that you guys are plowing snow in Ohio for a seasonal of $42 clams? What does a small lot go for-- $60/yr?? LOL.

I will stay in Mass thanks!

13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Hah, I wouldnt even own a plow truck if drives were going for 40 bucks for the season. I wouldnt have done that at 12 with a shovel or a snowblower. That is left behind for the wanna be plow guys who think they are making it big plowing for the city, LOL. 40 bucks put like a half tank in the truck. I gotta find this flyer from some landscaper in Madison signing double wide drives for 12 bucks a push and triple wide drives for 13 a push. And no it isnt f250man.

14. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

over four inches is a snow emergency i guess. Course its ohio i cant imagine they get over four inches very often. I got a buddy around dayton and he always tells me they dont get much for snow and drives a two wheel drive truck now.

i cant believe they pay for residents to get plowed for FREE. Poor people dont know how to use shovels WTF? if i paid taxes there i would be annoyed.
    Glad i dont have to plow there i couldnt plow a drive for 13 bucks that the town pays the subs and you cant compete with 13 bucks or free. pathetic. just pathetic. :mad:

15. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Come up and see me and Tom and tell us we don't get over 4" very offten.:D

16. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Depends on what part of Ohio you live in. I am right by lake erie, 70 miles west of Erie PA. We get plenty of lake effect and 4 inches is not much at all. I have had a lake effect squall dump about a foot in what seemed like 45 minutes. And we average 25-30 or so pushes per season. And that big storm back in March, I had touch over 2 feet and Steve out his way was nearing 3 feet. That wasnt including the drifts

That is how some of these towns are getting. Alot of people, especially seniors are crying broke and everyone is doing what they can to help. And that gets all the 5-10 dollar guys their hard on for the winter. Cheap prices amuck. But that crap really doesnt bother me much. Just overlook it, chuckle and keep on working

17. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I hate the low-ballers cause when the screw up and I get called they look at me and say that is to much. Thanks you and have a nice time shoveling.

18. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Now this part of Ohio 4" is a pretty good snow

19. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

You dont get snow down there it is all that salt that makes it look like snow. LOL :D

20. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

this is my town there is alot more to that story