1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ohio DOT light change

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Fourbycb, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I been seening videos and news reports that the Ohio DOT had been changing there warning light systems to Green & Amber or Green & White/Clear. I wonder if the private snow removal company can too or if its only the State plows. I think the Blue that Mn uses helps make them more Visiable will see how the Green in Ohio works.

2. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

It won't make a bit of difference, the areas where most of the statistics come from all get their drinking water from Lake Erie. You could have flame stacks with Roman Candles shooting out the rear of these ODOT trucks & car drivers would just creep up on them to see the show.

4. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Agreed. I deal with this everyday and its peoples curiosity that makes these "accidents" happen. Most say go with the brightest led strobe you can get and that'll fix the problem. more is better, brighter is the best! Unfortunately, that is not the case. You actually create more problems with additional lights and the brighter they are, the more accidents your gonna have. Strobing lights have this effect on people as to draw them in and then the mind takes over with curiosity. Most of the time its to late once they realize they've been staring and headed right for what they were looking at. As Im sure most here realize as Im guessing theres a lot of motorcycle riders. If theres a hole in the road and you stare at it when you first see it your guaranteed to hit it!

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

LMAO........:laughing::laughing:

6. 7Doc

7Doc Junior Member

How STUPID/ASLEEP/DRUNK does one have to be to rearend a snowplow truck on the highway anyway?

7. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

It could also help if they did not have white trucks the blend in with the snow.

8. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Call me silly, but I have an opinion on why green lights are more effective according to the studies they mentioned. The reason? Nobody's used to seeing green.

Here in New York State, police and fire vehicles used to use red and red / white lights. (White only faced forward.) A few years back (based on some California studies), they added a rear facing amber. Then, About 2 years ago they added a rear facing blue - for the same reason. So when you come up behind a State Trooper in our state, you'll find red, amber and blue lights flashing lights. Maybe we should add green and call it a carnival.

9. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I think all the led lights are really hard on the eyes. Like cops in local towns they have so ma y lights you cant reallly see the officer or the car doors or whats in front of those lights.

10. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

This is a legitimate issue and it's a sort of arms race. Whoever thinks they're most important tries to stay ahead with a color or flash pattern that will actually shock people when they see it, then everybody sees how well it works and follows suit, then the color or flash pattern has been diluted because it's so common.

Exacerbating the issue, this stuff gets used unnecessarily. Why should strobes be active on a flatbed with a car securely chained to it as it cruises along at the same speed as a flatbed with a backhoe securely chained to it that doesn't need strobes? What special hazard is that? At least the colors allowed for that in most places don't include blue, but that's all.

It's not even like we can rotate back to the beginning...not enough abandonment of the old worn-out colors/patterns has happened to begin re-using them. I think the reality here is that there's just not enough attention to go around to everything that needs attention.