1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ohhhhhhhhhhhh Poooor me!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LoneCowboy, Jan 5, 2011.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Ohhh, get a call from some "I'm 73 years old and infirm" lady to go bid her 3 car driveway, sidewalks, shovel off an area for the dog (yes really) and then brush the car off.

I send the contract over. (I really don't want to do the car, so I made that $10), drive, walks, other BS, $35 + ice melt.

she calls me up "OHhhhhhhh, I'm just a poor little old lady, I didn't get a cost of living increase on my social security (yeah, me either) and I just can't afford this, the last guy did all this for $10"

well, you should call him back.

I can't get a hold of him, his phone seems to be disconnected

Gee maybe he went out of business lady.

Ohhh, it wasn't from me, I always paid my bills on time.

Ohhhh, poor me, I don't know what I"m going to do, I have had a heart attack (paid for by medicare I'm sure) and just can't do it. This year my property taxes are going to be $2000, ohhhhhh poor me (like my taxes aren't like 10x that)

Guess we won't be adding her as a customer.

Ten dollars, cry me a river. I wouldn't do my own sidewalks, much less my drive for $10
  2. LOL I hear stuff like that all the time!!!!!!Oh well I too wont cry over losing out on $35 or so....makes me glad i dont mess with residentials all that much anymore!
  3. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i feel sorry for you (to be in that position) and the old lady....yes cost are going up everywhere and the last guy probally did go belly up... I like to do favors as well as the next guy... but maybe you can pose a win -win to her...tell her it is so much for the drive , so much for the dog pad, so much for the brush off of the car....if you really want to go through all of that
  4. How about the people that say "well the neighborhood kid did it for 10 or 15 last year" and when you ask why they dont have him do it anymore they say he isn't interested in doing it anymore. Huh if a 15 y/o kid with no overhead decided that it wasn't worth doing it for your price what makes ya think that a professional business would want to? This goes for snow as well as grass. I also love the small business that wont sign a contract with ya at your price and tell you its worth maybe $100/event vs the $75/push or $200/event etc you quoted, but call ya 25x the minute it starts snowing begging you to come plow!
  5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

She sounds like a nice lady.

You should do it.

Where's you sense of community service?
  6. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

I has some lady call me today and pull that card. I did her house last storm at 5am than zipped up the street and did mine than crashed out. It was still blowing some and she tired to say i was never. Its like there was a dusting on your drive not the 5" of snow that I plowed off your driveway. I really wanted to walk down there and say here is your money back find someone else.
  7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

He's treating it like a business as he should be.....

To hell with charity work......
  8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Charity work actually makes me feel good.

Some things are more important than making a buck.
  9. LoneCowboy

down the $hitter with my 8.25% sales tax, 4.5% state income tax, 35% federal income tax (you know, if I actually made money), 15.4% social security so she can live with her little poodle dog on my tax money, $2000 property tax bill and $10,000 car/truck/tractor registration (yes, really, every F*cking year).

community this.:angry:

(she's not my neighbor BTW, I take care of the little lady neighbor no charge, right up until she complains one year, then it's over, but she hasn't yet)

$10 :alien:
  10. LoneCowboy

I did break it down that way.
    but the plow doesn't hit the road for less than $25 (typically, that's my rule)
    so $10 for the whole thing isn't going to be close.
  11. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Go join the fire house and run some calls if you want to do charity work. Thats where I do my charity work.
  12. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Not in my world... unless your family, everyone pays, but to each his own.....
  13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I didn't know her dog was a poodle. I don't like poodles either..

I prefer to adopt and feed families that are needy.

Oh yea, and plow military family driveways for free.
  14. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Wow.....Tough Room...Lets just go over there and Kick the Old Lady Down the Stairs...

I do 2 Older Persons driveways for FREE...You know why....It make me Feel Good...Sense of Community....Helping those that cant help themselves......OK...Go ahead and start Beating me up....
  15. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

If she can't afford 35 dollars plus icemelt per time, she really should find a kid to do it, not a business

It is irritating to see adults whine as if it is going to help their situation. It is those kinds of people who have high expectations of others but who wouldn't stick their neck out if someone asked them for a favour.
  16. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Hey, I was here first.

They can work you over once they're through with me.
  17. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

I have no problem with doing something like that if its not out of my way really. My next door neighbors house. The lady is in a hospital, no one is home and the house is for sale. I will swing through there before i go home and clear the drive way out for her. No charge, but its not really out of my way and no rush to do it. The problem i have with elderly clients is they want it done now now now, but not pay the price.

I was just in another thread and these kids were talking about you know 15$ for a small drive and 20$ for a large and spot checking the aprons and covering drifts at no charge. I am with lonecowboy on this one. I am charging my clients for everything I do and its at a fair market price. None of this ill drop the price to 10$ for you. The drives get plowed when I say they will unless they give special instructions. Residentials are plowed in the morning hours and again during the late afternoon. If they want midday stuff then we will be glade to do so.
  18. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

10-4...I will step aside.......:salute:
  19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I will buy you a beer for it. :drinkup:
  20. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Come on guys really. Is everyone having a bad hair day today or what. I understand some people don't do charity work. Thats cool, but to sit here and judge, or call names, isn't going to make you feel any better is it? The economy sucks, gas prices are going up, taxes just keep going and going, but it's a 35 dollar price that was quoted. If you sit and figure it out, that means actual cost is 20 dollars or less. You mean to tell me noone here but TCLA, and myself would just do the job, and write it off your taxes and feel good about something instead of just bitching and moaning? I guess the holiday spriit has left the building.