1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oh what to do........

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick76, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Heres my problem... I was planning on purchasing another truck (F350 Dump with 9.5 v and sander) but now I've just signed a contract with a small strip mall with gas pumps about 2.5 ac.... i know weird.. but heres my dilima I would still like to purchase the truck but I could buy another skid with pusher and it would be faster.

I could use the truck in the summer but not for much since I'm snow only (small side excavating jobs 1-2 max during summer). I would have another backup sander unit, as my "backup" now is on its last legs.

Skid would just sit there since I already have one to do the small summer jobs but it would be more efficient in the winter...

I'd have to pay more money on the truck each year with reg/insurance/ ect.....

Both would cost about the same around 20K.....(Yes they would be used)

My question is If this was your situation what would you do and why?

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

sounds like you can make a arguement either way, i well say that a skidsteer well hold its value better, so from a investment standpoint, the skid is the way to go. On a side note, what do you do in the summer? are the couple of excavation jobs enough to keep the bills paid? just curious.
  3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the input....
    Most of my revenues (as well as most of my expenses) come from snow. The excavation jobs are really just for fun. I like working with the "toys". I do have some other "investments" that I can rely on for year round $.....payup
  4. leon

leon Senior Member

snow etc.

I dont want start an argument,

It seems like a new Compact Utility Tractor would be better
    for that job and money spent.

Kubota 2660
    loaded tires/rim guard
    All weather cab
    Pronovost rear mounted blower 60 inch
    front end loader
    QA snow plow for loader and or plow frame.
    sweeper attachment for front mount or loader to clean it to pavement
    PTO powered sander for the three point hitch.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I would buy the skidsteer hands down they hold their value better, break down alot less often, no insurance, inspections, DOT bs you know, think of it this way when a skidloader pushes snow it is one of the easiest tasks it was designed for but when a truck pushes snow it seems to be hard work for it and the trucks seem to deteriorate much faster in my opinion. just my 2 cents
  6. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

My question is you were going to buy the truck,plow, and sander for what? do you have jobs for it? I think the truck is the way to go. You can pick up more plow jobs,sand and use it in the summer for towing what ever. The skid I understand would be better for the one job but do you have more work for it or will it just sit around? tough call good luck.
  7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I was going to buy another truck for some smaller commercial plowing. But now that I've signed this contract, (This was one site I was thinking of when I was thinking of buying another truck) It would just be faster with a skid (damn gas pumps) I've also been aggressively bidding on ALOT of commercial jobs so I know I'm going to need another truck (maybe 2) or just hire subs. Hell with the interests rates on new trucks at 0% I might just buy the skid and finance another truck......

Oh well, I guess this is a good problem to have.....
  8. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

What to do

Hey Mick, If I were in your shoes, I'd rent for one season the biggest machine I could get (for a reasonable rate) still small enuf to get into the tight areas. you're already established, this gives you time to decide what you want.
  9. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Have you thought about just subbing out the job to someone who has the equipment. I"m sure there"s someone who could use the work.
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

x2, that would be the best choice. You could pay top dollar for a reliable guy with the right equipment and still be further ahead IMO.
  11. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I would probably go with a truck. Except I would opt for a normal pick-up. My reasoning there is that if it will be a snow only truck, I have found a standard pick up to be so much more efficient than a dump truck. I can plow circles around my 3500 dump while in my 3500 SRW pick up. The major thing is the visibility. I just look out the back window, know where I am going, and can back up faster. Where in my dump truck I have to creep back just to feel safe. This is all obvious stuff that we all know, but just my 2 cents. The other reason for a truck is when your done with that account, you can zip down the road and hit a few other accounts. Where with the skid, it will be dedicated to that one account and will not generate anymore income than that. Unless of course you have other accounts right next door..

I find that each year, I go through similar problems and have never come up with the perfect solution. And if I do come up with a good solution, it costs to much money, so that puts me back at the drawing board. This year my huge dilemma is whether to buy a used New Holland w50 wheel loader, or a second brand new Kubota M7040. Both are the same money, and I see advantages and disadvantages to both. At this point, it really comes down to if the dealer will take trade in to purchase a used item from them. I can't really imagine them taking a trade in to buy a trade in, so odds are it will be another M7040.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  12. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Thanks for all the replys... I've decided to go with another truck... I'm looking at a 01 chevy with the 8.1. Its a reg cab 8' bed... the only thing its a 2500... I'll be adding a couple extra springs in the back to help support the loaded 2 yard sander that will be in back there... kicker is it has a dump bed in the bed.....looks like a sweet low milage truck......
    And what brought me to this decision, the truck like some of you said, is just more versitile.... if another truck breaks down, i cant send the skid out to take up the slack... but boy it was a tough decision!
    Thanks for the input!
  13. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Glad to hear you came to a decision! I did today as well. I just bought another new 2011 Kubota M7040 today. Going to be set up identical to my other one. Should have it later this week I'm hoping.

Make sure to post pics when the new truck goes through!
  14. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

aren't you going to be way over wright with a 3/4 ton and a 2 yard sander....... Now your adding and dump bed to the equation? why not get a 1 ton so you can put a blizzard 811 on it or something that is going to be efficient on a 2.5 acre lot. Truth to the matter is how much are you charging to do the lot becasue if the money is there and its a long term lot a newholland w50 with a daniels wing plow will do it in half the time as the truck.

2.5 acres without looking at the lot must be around 425-500 per push up to 3 inches?
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I see you bought the truck, but you could lease a skid for the winter too.
  16. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Old thread... I actually bought a truck and skid