1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OH what a night.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DodgeBlizzard, Dec 30, 2011.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

So have any of you guys just chuckled at another plow contractor when you drive by them working and see how they're do things? Well last night we were probably the one being laughed at or having people saying WTF? We got our first ice/dusting storm. No need to plow so I call two guys in. One says I'm at a Xmas party. The other says "my girlfriend just rented a movie, I can only help you for a couple hours" ? WHAT? So this is the first year of us using liquids BUT my sprayer bar isn't here yet. So I decided to use a 7gpm ''air'' operated pump to put it down. More about that in a minute. Try to start the air compressor and it won't start. It's not even that cold out but it just won't start. Then the pull starter rope breaks. An almost new compressor, Honda motor and kept indoors. So we take it back to the shop, warm it up for a few minutes and it starts right up. But we're shooting brine everywhere. Here I hooked up the hose to the wrong fitting. Hey it's late and snowing hard, things happen. Go to the car wash to clean the brine off everthing in the back of the truck. And then the best part is we are up and running redneck style. I really should have taken a video. We're out there like a Chem Lawn guy. But instead of grass, we're walking around the snow covered parking lots. Got tired of walking behind the truck so we take turns sitting in the back swinging the hose like a grandfather clock pendelum. Bottom line is we got it all done and our lots were completely wet by 5am. Most other guys were just getting started as we were headed home. I guess it will only make us appreciate the spray bar THAT MUCH more. I love doing things the hard way, especially when you have the right tools, or the right tools ordered and just not here yet. Dear Santa, please deliver my spray bar before the next storm. I don't want to do another deicing redneck style. :dizzy:

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen 1 company here do small lots like that because there are alot of steps leading into doors around the building and they can get it all with a gun...works great for them,
    Steve

3. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Your luck sounds like mine! I went out last night too. Had a seasonal lot that needed a little salt. No big deal right?, just throw the small SaltDogg spreader (brand new, never used) on the back of the truck and go?, well............When I get onsite, I dumped in a few bags, climbed in the truck and started to salt. Guess what? somehow, the opening in the bottom of the bin just wasn't allowing enough salt out. I thought it was doing just fine until I got out of the truck and opened up the lid! After driving through the entire lot, it turns out that the bin was still 3/4 full! Since I didn't have anything with me to make the opening larger, I had to go back and re-do the entire lot at 1mph to get enough salt down to do the job. When I get done posting this, I am headed over to the shop to figure out where the problem is. Oh well, just another day, Lol!!!

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Alright I have one. About 8 years ago when we still used tailgate spreaders we had a motor burn up one night. We ran back to the shop and swithched it out and we were back in business. Once the spreader was fixed I sent a buddy of mine out in that truck and I took off in another. He headed off to one of our larger lots to salt since it had already been plowed. He called and asked how many bags he should put down and said he would call when he was finished. Well my phone rang like an hour later (I forgot he was going to call) and he tells me he was just finishing up. I asked what took so long and he said he didnt know but it wasnt coming out very fast.

Once we were done for the night I found that we hooked the motor up backwards so it was running the auger backwards. Instead of the auger pulling the salt down it was pushing it back into the spreader. :dizzy:

I was amazed he got it done as fast as he did. I asked if he noticed it was taking a little longer than normal? He said yea, but it was comming out so he kept on salting :rolleyes:

5. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

auger in reverse. That's a good one. Keep them coming so I don't feel so alone when things go bad. I really think with all the reality shows, plowing should be one.

6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

My tail gate dump salter blew a line, vbox froze up and we had to chicken feed two large commercial sites taking turns standing up in back of the dump one time.

7. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

We had a big ice storm yrs ago a lady needed her 3/4 mile long drive sanded so I jumped in the truck got to her home and started the sander and boom blue smoke and then it locked up, Headed back to the shop loaded some sand in the back of the truck put the old Meyers tailgate spreader on, grabbed my uncle and headed back. My uncle drove the truck as I shook one shovel full at a time into the spreader until we were done. It looked great and the lady was happy gave us a $50.00 bonus because she said watching us was better than going to the comedy club. It doesn't't matter how it gets done as long as the customer is happy and they pay! Thumbs Up

8. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

A couple years ago, first storm of the season probably like 3", but it's like 10 degrees. I pick up my buddy and his snowblower to help me do a couple of residentials. Pull up to the first house mid-morning. Tried to start my snow blower. Won't start. About the 4th pull, the pull start busts and will not retract the cord. My buddy is trying to start his snowblower. Won't start. We try for about 15 minutes to start it. Its not getting gas. No its flooded. Keep trying. Maybe there is air in the line? Is there gas in the tank? Try putting gas in, opps (gas spilling everywhere) yeah, it was full. Take the spark plug wire off, put it back on. etc. No success.

I grab the only shovel we brought and the handle falls off. We threw everything back in the truck and got the hell out of there. After lunch, we holed up in the garage and fixed our stuff and had a few laughs. A few hours later and we were back on the route. This time, looking a little more professional Thumbs Up

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Few years ago had an ice storm on Christmas eve, so I ran over to the Church around 4am to salt made it about 30ft and noticed nothing was coming out long story short the master link clip on the chain for the auger came off and the chain came apart. So I had to get in the back of the truck and throw salt out, move about 20ft throw, 20ft throw. Usually takes less than 10min to salt it took me over an hour, Merry Christmas to me:realmad:

10. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Last year, it was about 3am. At that point I had been out 22 hours, I was almost done. Using my single stage snowblower, it plugged up, the belt started to burn, then caught fire. Pack it with snow til the smoke stops and grab a shovel. I was glad it was 3am, nobody was awake to see this.

11. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Best one for me that put us a complete standstill..
    4 winters ago out plowing early am, my employee calls my he's stuck in the snow bank at canadian tire and has no reverse..only has half the lot done. Shortly there after I picked him up, called my sub to finish the lot and I went on scrambling to finish the other lots..
    Well within the hour my motor on my old western v burnt out and I was done.
    Two trucks within two hours.
    One broker with a F150 had to plow 10 commercial sites, good day$ for him.
    (I've learned why we should use the same plow for a fleet..saves an ass during a situation like that one)

12. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

Last winter, one of my guys backed into a loading dock post with our Snow Ex 8500 spreader.... Bent the rear rail of the spreader so it was out of commission.... Install our new Snow Ex9500 spreader, head back out, come find out after a lot of swearing it was wired backwards from the factory.... Head back to yard, park it.... Load salt into the back of a truck and do our big lots the "chicken feed" way... Same storm, later that night when we go out to plow (after just receiving a fresh fuel delivery) end with equipment stranded all over town - all units but a truck and skid steer gelled up.... Had a bad diesel fuel delivery!!! Oh what a night!!! No matter how new the equipment, it doesn't like water in the fuel!!!!