1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oh, The Places You'll Go

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by White Gardens, Dec 15, 2014.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

2. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

So change a few things on it, then get a manufactured vehicle title for it.
  3. White Gardens

Hmmmm, didn't think about it from a "build" perspective. Might have to call a truck builder and see how much it would cost.

I'm sure a certified shop would have to do the work and such.

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

depending on configuration, visibility would suck. they are too wide in my opinion. plow mounts would have to be custom fabricated, and good luck getting parts at the local napa. i'm sure there are many other cons to them. this is in addition to all the red tape you'd have to get through if you try to get it on the road legally. plus they're ugly.

i'd take any 3/4 ton pickup over one of these.
  5. White Gardens

Ya, just called Monroe, they said they couldn't get a title for it.

It would just be a beast of a plow truck, especially on larger lots.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher used to have mounts for them, way back when. They had one for a V-plow.

Parts? It's a GM diesel, not sure which one. I'm sure it's not that difficult.

And they look better than the H2's.
  7. White Gardens

Really though, if some guys want to buy them and just leave them on the lot it will work.

Unfortunately, the municipalities that we do most of our work on doesn't allow unregistered vehicles to sit on a lot.

8. White Gardens

Too wide?

My god, new trucks keep getting bigger and wider all the time. I can barely squeeze my 05' F-150 into the drive lanes at banks, let alone parking spaces.

And Ugly? Slap a coat of paint on it, and make it work. Doesn't have to be pretty to make you money. I don't understand why guys are so obsessed over the look of a truck. It's work truck, and that's all it is.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How does that work?

It's private property and none of their business?
  10. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

And that is why you get a dealer license and plates. Throw a dealer plate on it and bam..problem solved. Plate and insurance cover all vehicles owned. Bill of sale shows ownership. Fab up a plow mount and put a 10ft pusher on it with a 2 yard spreader...sweet!!!!
  11. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

The hummers have been available for along time. My buddy's dad had one back in 2000. It was old at that time. It had a 6.2 and was slow,cold,and noisy. They also had an M37 and deuce and a half (M35 ?). We used to run around in the M37 quite a bit, that was fun to drive. We finished his dad's motor conversion putting a 350 in it. The deuce and a half was neat but pointless for anything other than running around for fun. Working with old military trucks would be a pain. You can get them cheap but getting parts used to be a pain to get. I'm sure it's easier these days with the internet. Even for cheap I wouldn't want to work in an ex military truck. Like I said earlier they are not very operator friendly. The hummer they had didn't have seat cushions ,just cloth like a cheap lawn chair ! One night plowing in any of the trucks mentioned and I would be asking to go on a shovel crew l.o.l.
  12. White Gardens

I picked up a couple of clients that way. Basically I don't know how they can actually legally can do that.

Basically it was a commercial property, so I don't know if that was the case. If it is a residential, I'm guessing there is no problem.

These business owners had unregistered trucks sitting on their lots. City told them they couldn't do that.

13. 97f250Heavyduty

97f250Heavyduty Senior Member

14. procut

procut Senior Member

I could never figure out why guys made such a big deal out of those things. Just like when the H2 came out in the mid 2000's and everybody was raving about it, I just rolled my eyes. I think a slightly modded K4500/5550 chassis would be better option if you want a beastly plow truck; one of those would be primitive and clumsy as hell.
  15. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Humvees have an insane high ground clearance four wheel drive independent suspension construction, they can climb a vertical wall. Its not just a militaristic pickup. I wouldnt plow in it over my lariat, but i sure would put a crew in it
  16. White Gardens

I just want one because I just want one...

17. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Now here is logic I can understand! Thumbs Up
  18. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Mark the Patriot Act requires registration on all vehicles. Stupid but it's buried in there.
  19. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Yes would just be awesome!
  20. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

If I interpret it right, the vehicle needs to be registered to someone but the registration doesn't necessarily have to be current