1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oh my gosh! 5 hrs.and already a mess. what to do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TerrForms, Feb 2, 2011.

1. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

The storm hit us at 7pm Tuesday night. It's only 5 hrs into the snow and wind of 30-40mph.I know i''ve got to get out there Now. But how the heck do you keep up with this rate of fall. I have to keep 2 roads open and 12 drives. Oh this is going to be fun (not) 12:30 am now and this goes till 7 pm wednesday. I guess you just keep plowing? The route takes 4 hrs with only 3-5 inches. Never had to deal with wind like this! :eek:
  2. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

what the heck are you doing on here then get back out there
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Don't get discouraged, the drifts well form, but if u keep on them, u well be ok
  4. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

Sounds like a good time. Better make some coffee.
  5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Do your route as normal. When you are all done, start over. Pretty much all you can do.

Good luck to you. Take your time and be careful. Cant break anything in a storm like this. A break down will put you so far behind you wont be able to catch up. I would probably call a friend or two that can plow in the even you get sick, tired or just sick and tired. Also call someone that maybe has an extra truck sitting around and call dibs.
  6. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If your route is only 4 hours, you have it EASY. most guys have a 10 or 12 hour route.
  7. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

This. I was at one lot this morning for 3.5 hours with 3-4" on it. Granted we typically have 3 trucks at that place but... did it by my self yesterday.
  8. Freebird

Freebird Member

plow it a first time, if its coming heavy keep going, if its slowed down a bit, take a cat nap then get back to it. coffee, rest, and care are what get you through this stuff. I remember the first year I was put on a truck and first or second storm was 20 inches. Just go as fast as you can safely manage and no faster.
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

just keep plowing and keep good records...so you dont forget how many times you service a customer
  10. Daveyo

Daveyo Member
    from 6

What I do is keep my essentials open; my development roads, 24hr restaurants, hotels, T.V station (for the news vans) and then do the doctor offices and daycares. The non-essentials will get plowed but probably only once or twice till the storm is over and they know that. I don't do residentials but if I did they would be dead last unless requested because of a special situation and they would be charged accordingly for special service. A novel idea would be if everyone would just stay off the roads. This way we could plow without having to dodge everyone who thinks its neat to drive in 20" of snow.
  11. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

What i do is go back to bed. :drinkup:
  12. Aimfor1337

Aimfor1337 Junior Member

I know right? What is with people thinking it's fun to drive and drift around in 20"? we got a foot the other day and there were a bunch of tards and kids out screwing around, and most of them were getting stuck. Getting stuck=omen to go home and STAY HOME. Argh wish we could just pound it into their heads... too bad that's called battery w/ assault :/
  13. LB1234

LB1234 Member

start by not posting here and getting to work