1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oh mother nature.....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ktownsnowman, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Ktownsnowman

Ktownsnowman Junior Member

Hello all, i am just starting into snow removal. I have a few questions, first of all, none of the jobs I have found so far care to pay a retainer fee, also they dont care for a per event price.

Right now the 2 i got are hourly, and i couldnt be happier.

I want to know if my prices for sanding and labour seem fair.

I will be piling sand on-site and tarping it with thermo tarps, and charging $75 per hour to sand. If I am at another jobsite and am required to sand, it will be $110 per hour with a 1 hour minimum.

Labour rates for shoveling will be $25 per hour.

Btw, Hourly equip rates are for my skidsteer (Cat 236B)

2. eric02038

eric02038 Senior Member
    from MA

residential or commercial?

Only attorney's charge a retainer...

3. Ktownsnowman

Ktownsnowman Junior Member

residential

Residential, Strata communities. Also, maybe retainer isnt the right word, but alot of places around here had a minimum charge per month regardless of snowfall, if it didnt snow you get paid X amount of dollars. If it snowed a ton, the minimum would be incorporated into hourly or monthly invoice.

4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

We do

We also work off a retainer system. Basically what you are describing. Keep plugging away at it and you will find clients that it makes sense to.

Also, have you calculated your hourly costs based on your overhead, expenses and use-rates of your equipment. Or are you charging that rate because you think that is the right number?

Know your costs per hour of operation and then and profit. We over a simple CD that will calculate your companies costs for you for any service you provide. It's titled Know why you charge what you charge. Check out our web site or call us if you have any questions. This CD gives you the confidence to bid your jobs at the right price and sell it accordingly.

5. leon

leon Senior Member

Sands of BC

Are you saying the retainer fee is a seasonal price per client?

So you are doing snow removal on a cost plus basis.

About the $110 Canadian Loonies per hour charge- If your higher cost per hour customer finds out that you

are charging the other customer less thats simply poisoning the water.

Why are you charging two different hourly rates for these customers? thats not good for your line of business.

With regard to the shoveling, can you use a single stage snow blower to remove the snow where you are shoveling?,

it would take less time and effort and you obviously want to keep these customers.

As long as they are happy thats all that really matters, and you are fortunate that you can pile sand and tarp it there for sure;

but I would not charge two different rates per hour as thats a sure way to lose the customer.

This stuff does get around in the course of business and you could be in some hot water over it with issues relating to price gouging,

and thats the last thing you want if you expect to grow your business you cannot do it in the county lock up.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010