1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oh Boy......

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2COR517, May 4, 2010.

1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I knew I should have taken pics :(

I tore down the front axle on my 81 Chevy. Getting ready to put things back together, I noticed one axle shaft is longer than the other. How do I figure out which one goes on which side? I know which end goes in the axle, that part is easy.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

Axel

easy long Axel on the long tube side (driver's side) i believe . Short on passenger side .if to long it will stick out to far to short it will not engage the spider gears .

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

You sure one of them isn't broken??

Or, maybe someone had it apart before you and screwed it up??

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That could be. The truck is kind of a hodge-podge of mix and match parts.

Plus, the guy told me it had 4.10 gears. But the front is a 4.09. Is that going to cause problems? Seems like the front axle is going to go faster than the rear. Maybe I should put smaller tires on front to offset the gear difference?

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i am not positive on this, so take it with a grain of salt, but i thought all 4x4's were made so that the front was always pulling the back a little bit, so the gearing being off may not be that big a deal.

6. cubicinches

I'm not sure about the gears, but with one axle being longer than the other, it seems like the front wheels would turn different speeds... especially when going around corners. That couldn't be good. You might need to run a smaller tire on one side than the other.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Wow. This is getting scary now. If I ever get it put back together, I'm not sure if I'll dare to put it in 4wd.:realmad:

8. cubicinches

You'll just have to label your wheels/tires so you remember where each one goes. That's not too complicated...

9. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

am i missing something here? isn't it obvious which side the shafts go in? a front axle has a clearly offset pumpkin, right? so looking at the axle it should be obvious which side takes which axle - unless i am misunderstanding the question?

and 4.09 versus 4.10 doesn't matter. its very common for all 4wd vechicles to have very slighly different ratios. now a 4.10 versus a 3.90 is definetly a problem, but a 4.09 versus 4.10 is normal and nothing to worry about.

10. cubicinches

I still think the wheels will turn at different speeds with one axle shorter than the other... :nod:

11. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't sweat it, well not mulch :eek:

Here's an idea..............just plow in circles. A while back I think I read something on here that some :mechanic: was going to change the plowing world by doing just the same thing.

I would agree based on my limited knowledge of this topic that it should (in my mind anyhow) be easy to figure this one out based on the parts laid before you. Other than that you are on your own bud.

12. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

If this were the case wouldn't the truck go tumbling down the road end over end, rather than rolling along? After all the front drive shaft is shorter than the rear.:nod:

13. cubicinches

I bet that's why the gear ratio is slightly different... to make up for the difference in the length of the driveshafts.

14. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

It's all starting to fit, isn't it?

15. cubicinches

I'd say... we're definitely onto somethin' there.

16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

O m f g :eek: :laughing: :mechanic: have another:drinkup:

17. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

I really hope you're all joking....

The short shaft is the driver side, longer shaft is passenger. Your Chevy has an offset dif to match up with the t-case and avoid contact with the oil pan.

18. cubicinches

:eek: Hmmm... You seem pretty positive about that.

Not sure who is joking now. :D

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's your problem from the very beginning Palmer, it was originally set up as a Ford or Dodge axle. :laughing:

Most assume it's to offset the weight of the driver. :D

20. cubicinches

That explains it... :D