1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oh boy.. what to do??? (Rust and rattle!)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dvnt2003, Oct 24, 2003.

1. dvnt2003

dvnt2003 Junior Member

First hello all! I have been reading this site for a few weeks now and have gotten a wealth of information already! Now that I am getting into the nitty gritty of mt problem I tought this would be a great place to start my quest for more answers. Here are my problems... I have a 1981 Suburban that the VIN tells me is a 1/2 ton. All the parts however are for a 3/4 ton. How can I tell if it is a Frankenstiens monster of a truck? It has been lifted and I was wondering if they place the body on a 3/4 ton frame. Any way to tell??? (Ok so I didn't post that part in the topic line...) Also there is a lot of small areas of rust along the lower areas of the truck. I have new front fenders and doors, but as far as the rear goes.... Both rear fenders have rusted all the way through about 1" high in all areas. I need to fix all this cheap and fast. I have heard that Line-X once applied encases the rust and stops it from going farther. I wand to do about the bottom 6"-8" in a Line-X or roll on bed liner anyway so would this work for the time being? I am also going to cut the rear fenders out a bit and install large flares to cover up some of the spot so.. not sure how far to go on all this.

My other big problem right now is it feels like I have a body wrapped around my tires! It rattles so bad that it alomost turns the ignition off!!!! Everything in the truck rattles a bit anyway but this is nuts! It calms down as soon as I apply pressure to the brakes and I am thinking it is the wheel bearings. Had the same problem on my Dodge truck and that is what it was... However this all started after two things happened. I yanked on a tree branch to keep it from falling on a house and had the rear of the truck a few feet off the ground when I did. And the exhaust pipe broke off right at the rear of the muffler. No contact with the frame that I can tell there soooo... don't think is is that banging into anything. Not sure what else to look into to see if any of that pulling bent anything or what happened. I just need to get this thing on the raod right now and am looking to get away with as little cost as possible... what with Christmas coming and all....

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Bad or broken u-joint,bent driveshaft,bad tire,twisted axle shaft,it could be a number of things.Is it coming from the front or rear ? Do you feel it in the steering wheel ? or in the brake pedal ?

3. dvnt2003

dvnt2003 Junior Member

U joints are all good. It really feels like is is coming from all over. But to I just get the feeling it is on the passanger side front more than from anyhwere else... Don't really feel it in the steering wheel or anything from the brakes either. Everything looks straight, at least no noticeable breaks or bent anything. How far out of whack would something have to be to cause this kind of shake. I mean it is BAD! The whole truck just shutters!

4. MSC

MSC Member

One thing that caught my attention is that you say the truck is lifted.
    Check to see if the body mounts are urethane, this will transmit more driveline vibration to the body than a rubber mount.
    It does sound as though you have a bigger problem than that though. Check your torsion bar mounts, they are usually the first thing to go.
    Hope this helps.
    Rich