1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oh boy...now this isn't fun

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Doin_It, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

So last winter I bought a new 8100PP and had it dealer installed. It worked great all last winter. Not one hiccup ever.

Now this year a problem starts. The second time out (2" snow fall) after about 3 hours it quits working, nothing up/down etc. Check the connections, clean them, put in some new dialectic grease and were good to go.

After 10/15 minutes or so later, quits again. Wiggle wiggle all connections and away we go. Does this all night, 7 - 8 times Not always, but usually while going into a pile. Last time of the night a 4 amp fuse blows. Don't have one, so let the skid steer finish the little bit left and we go home.

Change the fuse in the AM and the next 2 times out, no problems.

Now last night. less then an 1", more of a lot clean up really,so no hard pushing etc. after a couple of hours, coming out of a pile, go to change angles....nothing. The little red power light is flashing. Check fuses, all good. Clean connections just to be safe, (This plow never comes off) add a bit more grease, nothing, wiggle, nothing.

So I shut it off, went an did a sidewalk for 30 or so minutes, come back and its working. Yea. Work for ten minutes or so and it quits. Again, almost done, so go hook up the trailer and wait for the skid steer to come. Load him up, and wouldn't you know the plow is working again, so I retract it all and go home. Afraid to go out and check it, even left the blade up for the night.

Any ideas what my problem might be?

Thanks.

2. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Plug icing up, zip tie it tight together, don't use grease, use fluid film.

3. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

i wonder if you have a short in one of the wires that goes to the plug (either on the truck side or the plow side) one day at the shop have one person in the truck running the plow left and right while you wiggle the plug and see if you can get it to act up when you know the connection is clean and tight. if you can then i would start checking the power wire to the controller and working your way from there. this may not be the problem but it sounds like where i would start. goood luck and let us know what you discover. i run 4 blizzards this year and more in the past and have not had this before and would like to be prepared in case it happens.

4. fci

fci Senior Member

It sounds like a bad electric contact. check the power and ground on the truck and on the plow manifold. On the truck side I like to use a wire wheel to clean the spot where the ground is going to be bolted and then spray paint it and load it up with dielectric grease. You can get electrical connection cleaner made by crc to clean the plug connection, it will eat up any corrosion. You can also use a wire brush.

5. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

Thanks guys. Yea its got to be electrical of some sort I'm sure. Now to find the little gremlin.

Went out tonight just now to scrape a lot. The plow worked for 10/15 minutes and then quite. Lights/blinkers work and that's it. No amount of wiggling, spray (as per John) would bring it to life. Went off again going into a pile. The operator (and I'm watching from the skid steer) almost looks scared to even get to the pile before lifting as he doesn't want it to quite.

Will look for ground etc. and will post here hopefully before the weekend what I find.

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

The + terminal in the motor might be broken, making intermittent contact, had that happen before too.

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I was going over mine this weekend (2004 810), and I could see how that terminal could break. Is there a fix for it, or do you have to replace the whole motor?

Thanks John, been pushing yet this year?

8. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

On a new motor, might be worth fixing, on an older unit, I'd just repower with a new motor.

9. wilkie

wilkie Junior Member

I had the exact same problem as that 2 years ago. Replaced solenoid and no more problems shortly after that happened to the other Blizzard..replaced solenoid worked perfect.

10. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Mine did the same thing last year.
    Wire running into truck through the firewall was scraping against the metal, kept on blowing fuses out.

Id also consider swapping the solenoid.