1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

offset spreader mount idea

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Smitty58, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

A friend and I were brainstorming of a way to mount a salt spreader and carry a snowblower on the back of my truck. We came up with an idea, have the salt spreader mounted to one side and have a small platform for the blower to ride on. My plan is to have a extention built with 1 receiver tube to the left of center and another to the right.
    Then make a small hitch hauler for the blower and mount the spreader. Sounds like it will work ,but I'm wondering if anyone has tried something like this.

I <--hitch on truck
    -----------------I------------------------I-----------------------I--------------------- square tubing
    I ________I_________
    salt spreader here I I
    I I
    I I small platform
    I_________________I for blower
  2. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Well that little diagram didn't turn out like I wanted once I posted it. The blower platform is on the right side and the spreader on the left. Both will slide into a receiver tube.
  3. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

I can see that idea working as long as you support it so that it doesn't rock back and forth. Either solid or a rachet strap. Also try to travel with the spreader empty to keep the stress off the reciever tube welds. Remember spreader plus blower plus salt is like 600-700 pounds of "tongue weight". I welded a frame that bolts into the rear pockets and pins through the bed so that my spreader is offset from my backblade cylinder.