1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Offroad diesel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowfever, Nov 25, 2011.

1. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Do you guys run off road fuel or just fill up at the pump on your equipment? I have been wondering if I would save any money by buying off road fuel for my skid steer or if it would be just as easy to fuel it up at the station. I figure I'm only going to use maybe 1000 gallon a year so I don't think that is enough to get a break on the price. I plan on adding future diesel equipment to my fleet down the road so eventually I know it will make more sense to run off road fuel but don't know if now is the time. If you do run it do you just have a transfer tank in the back of your truck? I have a barrel at my shop for it but in the winter I will need to buy a tank for my truck so I can fuel up onsite vs hauling it home.

2. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I run off road fuel with a 100 gallon tank in the truck till I run out then go to the station if I need to, I know in IL I save $.33 a gallon just make sure you don't run any bio fuel in the winter it jells much easer

3. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Hell yeh run off road at a $.50/gallon savings it would be well worth it we do it here.

4. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

My grandpa has them deliver to him already so I was thinking maybe I could just tell him I would buy 1000 gallon off him throughout the year that way between his use, my uncles and mine we could all save if we could get it at a lower cost.

5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I run on- road in all of my logging equipment. I buy from the same station all of the time. I know the fuel is fresh and winter treated. If you keep track (separate receipts) and apply for tax credit (at tax time) for fuel used off-road, it is cheaper than buying off- road fuel. I save 10-14 cents per gallon on average and rarely have any fuel related problems.

6. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Are you running this off road fuel in the pickup?????

If so you are just begging for a good F-ing when the friendly DOT officer gets a hold of you.
    One day it'll catch up, what goes around comes around.

7. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I am not planning on running off road in a truck just equipment like my skid steer and mowers. I know a lot of the farmers around me run off road in there pickups but like you said if they ever get caught your up a creek.

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I looked into it last season, for 500 gallons of usage the price was the same as on road at the pump so I didn't bother.

9. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I didn't think thats what you were talking about doing.

I don't mind trying to pull one past the gooberment, but died fuel has been known to bite a lot of folks in the butt.

10. GSSFC

GSSFC Junior Member

I get pulled over all the time by DOT, and yet never once had a tank dipped. We only run on-road fuel in the trucks so nothing to worry about, but how do you get caught?

Tim

11. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

ive never been dipped up here in pa, my buddy in va has gotten dipped every time hes gotten a dot pullover (even in his 97 f450 mason dump) and he learned the first time he tried to get away with it that it wasnt worth the 1400 dollar ticket. i guess its more common cause they sell offroad at every gas station down there, up here in pa its a little harder to find....or you need to order it from the oil company but sometimes isnt worth it, i asked one guy to put 100 gallons in my offroad tank while he was filling up a house next door to a job i was working on, he wanted 8 cents more than onroad cost at the pump!

12. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Doesn't offroad diesel have a red dye to it?

13. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

PLOWFEVER
    If you consume 1000 gallons a year and you can save the sales tax, (.33 to .50 cents per gallon) by purchasing red diesel what are you waiting for?

DOT and Dipping, I had a friend who says he got stopped and they took off his fuel filter and somehow check inside the filter for the red die. So if this was true, my take is that if you run Red diesel through your truck the fuel filter is evidence!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  14. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

we run offroad in all our unlicenced vehicles.

15. GSSFC

GSSFC Junior Member

In one of my generators for work we always try and run off-road fuel to save the tax. Occasionally when we run low we have to use on road in a pinch. There is a clear "bowl" around the fuel water separator with a paper filter element inside. After about 20 minutes of running the on road fuel through, the bowl and filter are clear again, with no visible sign of the red dye.

Tim

16. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I don't run off road fuel because technically, I can't. In Colorado, our equipment has to carry a license plate if you plan on roading it between jobs. License plate = no off road fuel.

Not to mention the fact that the nearest place for me to get off road fuel is 30 miles away and we burn about 200 gallons per storm.

17. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

We can go on the roads with a "Slow Moving Vehicle" sign in the back.

18. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Do you have a lot of those? We even have a license plate on our Kubota front-mount mower.

19. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

CO has figured out that a license plate on off road equipment = tax revenue.

20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

There's no such thing as a tractor, a loader, a backhoe or anything along those lines running licensce plates up here... Unless its a truck it runs died diesel pretty much lol