1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Official Snow Totals

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crossboneracing, Jan 16, 2009.

1. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Hey guys, does anyone know of a place on the web where you can get official snow totals by town and storm or date? I am not sure if this has been covered before. I am trying to figure out the most accurate way to bill my customers. Any help would be much appreciated!
  2. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Other than going outside and sticking a ruler in the snow, you can try http://www.reportstorms.com/, it's not really "official" though. Either that or you local weather station.
  3. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

wunderground Weather under ground. Take a look. Conditions, forecasts, snow falls, precipitation.
  4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

A little off topic. I've been thinking about building a Trigger Gage. It would be a steel rod (like a cane) with a 3" steel rod welded to it at 90 degrees, 2" up (trigger amount) from the tip. Stick it in the snow and spin it. If the snow moves, you are at your trigger amount.

On topic

Try your local weather station. They might have it some where.
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i kinda keep a running total on my calander or on my billing....if i need a total i guess i would call a snow plow contractor in town here( i know em all) and ask them, some of them keep good records....
  6. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

Do a search for the National Weather Service

Click on the state of Mass onthe map, then storm totals, then your region.
  7. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

We use National Weather Service also ,but I don't think its very accurate, they have watchers that email in results and then they post it, but I don't agree with their results, I had to give a couple of 1500.00 credits over an inch difference. I'm thinking of signing up to be a weather watcher for the National weather service:)
  8. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

The NWS trained observers have to follow certain guidelines. It's not as easy as sticking a ruler in the snow when it stops snowing.

Measurements should be taken as the storm progresses because snow compresses as it builds up.
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

NWS doesn;t always track smaller amounts- try toddgross.com. He offers the service for MA for all amounts