1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Office XP question on mail merge function

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Lawn Lad, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

With Office XP, is there a way to mail merge one line of information from an excel sheet into an individual word document? I do not want to merge the whole list from excel thereby creating a list of new word documents.

I keep my list of renewal customers and their bids on a spread sheet. My contract is a word document where I could set it up to merge with the info from excel. This is fine for renewals when I'm doing a bunch of them. But as I add new propsective customer and their bids to the list, I'd like to just merge that one line of contract information into my template contract. Boom badda bing.

How would I do perform this merge for a single line of information?

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Possible yes of course, how difficult or simple is another question.

Give an example of your excel file and what line you want to import.

Rick

3. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

My excel files is set up so that each row contains different customer or site data while each column defines the topic.

Example of column headings: Name, Company address, city, state, zip, site name, site address, site city, site state/zip, etc. Price per push, per salting, or seasonal price, etc.

My word document would then merge the information from the selected row so that the Company name and mailing address would appear in the one area while the specific site information appears where needed on the contract with the relative pricing for each site.

I have not, but could build in a merge that would allow me to individualize the job specs in the spread sheet to dump into the word document as a merge as well, but I figure I'll do this manually with each document. I'm trying to avoid having to retype or cut and paste the same information a bunch of times. If I type it into the spread sheet once as a single point of entry, I should have it flow into the word doc and only have to make minor adjustments in the specs of the work if they are other than "normal".