1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Office Dispatch Systems??????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChicagoSnow, Oct 4, 2002.

1. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Just wondering if there is a "ideal" dispatch system for certain size/amount of equipment snow management companies?

I was thinking, after attending the SIMA symposium in St. Louis, Peggy Allin and other speakers had some decent dispatch concepts that I would like to implement.

Are Nextel phone/radios good enough???

Are cab installed cb radios worth their costs????? "Home base" special requirements? Do you require identical set up with all subs?

I need a system that I can track work completed in a efficient manner and of course handle growth without restriction.

What do you think???????

ChicagoSnow

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

When I was running my business we moved to a office manager/dispatcher that was in for every plowable storm. We had a business band radio system in every truck with 2 channels. The plowing area was split into 2 zones, zone one on channel one, zone 2 on channel 2.

At the town I work at now, I am in the process of fighting for an office manager. It sounds like a ton of wasted money having someone sitting in the office during the storm. However just to keep up with the phone calls, and to let the drivers know where the problems is a 1 person job at least depending on the number of trucks.

Geoff

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

our drivers have nextell phones and cb's. that away if they are working with subs on a sight they can communicate

4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I'm fairly certain that our system works, and works well.... feel free to copy as much as you like. Why re-invent the wheel...

5. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Thanks for the responses.................. let the planning begin!

ChicagoSnow

6. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Same here, CB's and Nextel's. That combination allows communication to all vehicles in the battle. CB's work great for communication from salt truck to end loaders also allow comm to work with another plow truck so you dont plow over eachother. The nextel's allow comm back to HQ to let them know how we are doing and if we need help/let people go grab a nap.