1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Offering 24 hour service to Residentials

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bodaggin, Sep 27, 2011.

1. bodaggin

bodaggin Banned
    from Canada

Hey there,

I am in the midst of starting up. I'm a young guy, full of piss and vinegar and would like to offer 24 hour service to residential clients with my plow jeep. I haven't purchased it yet, but from the looks of it I'll be getting a TJ with a 22 series Snoway plow.

Does anyone here offer 24 hour service with their plow vehicle and if so I have a couple questions:

-Is there a legitimate noise disturbance or legalities from doing this? I would only be at the property for maybe 5 minutes, no blowers, simply a quick plow on the drive and a shovel for the walk but has anyone ran into any noise disputes offering this service?

-Do you notice a high demand for this service? The prospect of having a clean driveway in the morning would obviously be a good one, but again, this may possibly be at the expense of a slight and short noise disturbance to the owner, or their neighbors. So do you see a legitimate demand of people wanting to have their drive cleared 24 hours as opposed to just during daylight hours?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Just when I thought I heard it all. I don't need to be disrespectful but your telling me in all your life you've never heard a snow plow doing it's business in the middle of the night? On a higher note, your driveway rig is a great choice and I have never heard of any type of noise ordinance for plow trucks.
  3. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I tell residential customers that I might be in their driveway in the middle of the night depending when the snow falls. They understand and expect the snow to be gone.
    Welcome to the site.
  4. bodaggin

bodaggin Banned
    from Canada

haha I didn't mean to sound ignorant. Of course plow trucks go all night long on commercial and government jobs but I was just confirming if there was any troubles with doing it in residential areas. You guys confirmed what I was thinking! I'm excited to start, thanks for the encouragement on the plow vehicle; I've done a ton of research.
  5. gonemowin

gonemowin Junior Member
    from MN

It would be worth a quick check of the city noise ordinances. Technically, in my area, we are in violation if we plow residentially between 11pm and 7am. However in reality this is rarely enforced unless a neighbor seriously complains. Always better to be sure of the rules beforehand just in case.
  6. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

WAIT, we have the option to not plow 24/7?!?:dizzy:
  7. bodaggin

bodaggin Banned
    from Canada

Thanks gonemowin, I actually checked, and it is quite vague, with the wording it looks like everything is ok, but not a sure deal. I'll have a lawyer give it a look. Just wanted to get the expert opinions of you guys to have a better idea in the meantime :)
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  8. bodaggin

bodaggin Banned
    from Canada

9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I have had bylaw enforcement called out on me and stop me at 4 in the morning.

I plow schools, which are surrounded by resi's - so somebody called.

Guy pulls up beside me, asks me to put it into reverse, I do - back up beeper comes on. He says, ok Thanks and drives off.

But, a requirement of the contract is the back up beeper. Needless to say, bylaw does not come out anymore when they get called during snow storms.
  10. bodaggin

bodaggin Banned
    from Canada

The beeper was just required by that sole contract being that it was a school? Or you had a few that had that requirement? Because you raise a good concern, I was contemplating whether or not a beeper would be good or not... Jeep has pretty good visibility tho
  11. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Haha nice!!

If you are planning your night out...give yourself more than 5 minutes per house, might take ya a little longer than that.
  12. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

turn off your back up alarm between midnight and 4..... That is the only one I've heard of as far as complaints. A fellow Dayton Plower pissed off some people in a friends neighborhood because every time it snowed he would have his alarm up loud and the BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!!! made people a little irritable about 1/2 way through the season. In other words, just use common sense.
  13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

We start plowing residentials whenver the snow stops, usually at 1am or even earlier than that. I make a ton more per hour plowing drives in my area. Commercials are nice though cause of the 1" trigger and salt. But it's nice to have a good mix of accounts. Residentials are a great way to start, and make money doing it as long as you price yourself right.
  14. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

If its the middle of the night and no traffic, I don't even use warning lights, no sense flashing that thing into peoples' windows while they try to sleep.
  15. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

It is a School board Requirement.

Turn it off? Why?
  16. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Turn it off or mess with it your asking for trouble IMO, god forbid you back into someone or something, you may aa well not of had it at all, or worse yet " you must of known you had poor visibility when backing" because you installed it. If there isn't one on the equipment when I buy it, I don't put one on, if there is one I dont touch it. My insurance co did tell me if I'm plowing (not driving site to site) they want the beacon on.
  17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

And you dont put on the parachute until AFTER you jump out of the plane
  18. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Wow this OP boggled my mind!!!!!!!! Good luck!
  19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That doesn't take much.
  20. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Since we lost 15 posts here since last night,guess I;ll get the correct answer now. Don't worry about the owners or the neighbor.Most people don't even hear you when your plowing.Besides every street have that one neighbor who fires up the snowblower at 3am for some reason and there's only 2 inches on the ground.