1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Off the truck, uninstalled, still wrapped...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Bad Luck, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Let the fun begin. Install pics to follow.

2. gkwoodfloors

gkwoodfloors Junior Member

You will be amazed at how easy it is to install on your truck...the wiring may take the most time. The brackets just bolt on with only one hole to drill in each side of the frame. I would recommend some good box and open end wrenches. I was able to use a ratcheting wrench on some of the bolts.

Good luck
  3. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hey Bad Luck, I'm not real familiar with the Fisher plows but I have to ask...why is there only 1 trip spring on the left side of the plow and two on the right? Is one of them not mounted yet? Are you putting this on a 1/2 ton Chev? If so, you'll need Timbrens or something. I just put a Blizzard 760LT that weighs 550lbs. on my 1/2 ton Silverado and she scrunches down pretty good...that Fisher will make it buckle down pretty good I bet. Good luck with it, looks like a good solid plow. My dad had one on his Chev before he passed away, he only got to plow a couple times with it before passing, but he liked it.

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Bad Luck - That is standard. Fisher 7'6" RD blades have had three trip springs for a zillion years. I don't know why but it seems to work out just fine. 8' HD and up blades use 4 or more springs. LD's only use 2.
  5. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Up North - Nope, it only has one on that side. I thought it was odd too. How do you like the Blizzard? According to Fisher, this set up will weigh in around 630lbs. I turned the torsion bars up 6 turns on each side = 2.5 inches, and I actually have a set of Timbrens sitting on the back seat. Surprisingly, my CV angles are still good and the ride has not changed all that much. I'll be posting more pics as the install progresses. What year is your Chevy?

Sorry to hear about you father.

God bless.
  6. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Bad Luck,
    My Chevy is a 2000 ext. cab with the 4 doors, really love it, what year is yours? So far I like the Blizzard a lot, but I haven't plowed with it yet...still waiting for measureable snow. Actually 630lbs. isn't that bad, 80lbs. more then the Blizzard, no big deal. I was thinking the Fisher was in the 700# range, heck you won't have any problems. In fact, weren't you kind of going back and forth on which plow to buy...Fisher or Blizzard?

I am not a mechanic by any means, in fact just overhauled my first small engine last year... :blush2:. How did you crank up the torsion bars? I need to do that as well and would also like to put on a set of Timbrens in the front, did you get yours from Big Nate?

As for my dad, thanks. I was a very lucky person to have him as my father.

7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Bad Luck, I see you have a 2004...should have looked closer the first time, sorry about that.

8. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Up North - I was undecided for a looooong time on which plow to get. Finally decided on Fisher based upon a lot of research and my use for the plow.

As far as turning up your torsion bars:

-On level ground, measure the height of your truck from the ground to the lower lip of the fender, spliting you wheel in half. Write that number down.

-Grab an 18mm socket and 1/4in ratchet.
    -Mark the socket on one side
    -Just about mid-way between your doors you will see the frame corss member that the torsion bars go into (long bars that go from cross member to lower control arms).
    -On that crossmember you will see single bolt facing the ground, there's one on each side of the truck.
    -Place the socket on the bolt with the mark facing towards the front.
    -Tighten the bolt counting each time it passes the starting point
    -Most guys go anywhere from 2-6 turns. Mine went 6, I got 2.5 inches, but you need to be weary of cv angles. You don't want to go to far.
    -Re-measure the height of the truck.
    -Once you are happy with the height, drive the truck for a day or two to let everything settle. The get an alignment.

If you need more help PM me. :nod:
  9. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

.....I did not get my Timbrens from Big Nate...Should have though, he has great prices
  10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Personally, I'd use a 1/2" ratchet to do this. Maybe even a mid sized breaker bar.
  11. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Thanks for the info Bad Luck, I'll see if I can get er done. Thanks again!

JRKRACE Senior Member

....also lube the threads with WD-40 and jack up the truck to relieve some pressure off those bolts....
  13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Bad Luck how is the install going? I just finished installing my 9.5 V blade yesterday. It is a great mount and very easy to use. I put the module on the side of the fuse box facing the front of the truck and the solenoid under the fender mounting bracket going from the fender to the firewall. Lots of extra wire.