1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Off setting vbox in bed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Freshwater, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

I'm thinking of carrying a blower/shoveler guy in my truck. Anybody ever scooted you salter over to one side to fit a 21"single stage next to it? My Salter is real small snowex 3000 holds about a yard of salt. I'll keep bags of ice melt on that side to balance weight at least a little. I don't drive real far full. F250 superduty truck. Does this sound like a really bad idea to anybody?

2. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Sounds like a horrible idea to me. Your truck's drivetrain and suspension components are engineered to withstand a fairly even load. It might work out fine but if it were me I wouldn't risk it.

3. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

If its a regular truck box and not a stake rack your not going to move it over too far. The snowex 3000 is pretty small and if you offset it with bag salt and blower you might be ok. I think what I would do is load it up with slat and bagged material then take a measurement above the rear tire (bottom of fender) at each side and see if the measurements are the same.

4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

How much room is there in front of it when its in the bed? I know its not the best to have to lift a blower over side but I bet you could build something to put it on at bed rail height and make it easier and then strap it down? Worst case?

5. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

This is a good idea. Because even if you do offset your spreader you will still need to load over and work around your tie downs.

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

If you move it to one side I'd be surprised if you had enough room for a blower. But if you do, and you're not balanced correctly you could always get a dual path set of air bags to even it out.

7. jhall22guitar

From what I can find the Snowex 3000 hopper is 66" so thats 5.5ft so theres already a foot of space at the front of the bed, so move it a litter further back, and use bracing so it can't slide forward. Figure out how to tie blower down on a 18" wide platform that way the Vbox isn't too far off the bed. Could work.

8. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Just some backround, there plenty of room up front. I already built a platform/bulkhead that I carry my 18in Toro for myself. I can easily lift it by myself. The 21in is much heavier and will require a tag team at each property. The 2 stage is also completely eliminated this way. This is the way I'll go if I don't separate the blowing again this year. It's all about the funds.

It sounded bad to me too, I was kinda curious.

9. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

10. jhall22guitar

11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

12. superdutypsd

superdutypsd Senior Member

I need to hurry and make something similar for this season, as i been woundering how im going to carry my blowers around with my 2.5cy sweson, there is no room front or back side to side and snapped a leaf last year from weight and its centered

13. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Use a hitch carry all
    If your spinner gets in the way you might just be able to put it on 4x4s and it would get you from place to place
    Or have someone make you a carry all that will work

Or maybe run a tailgate salter ?

14. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

I could never run a tailgate Salter again.

That rack is sweet I like it.

Best case is I can swing another truck for the blowing. I turned my blower truck into a plow truck. Sending the snowblowers out front of the plow has worked well for me.

15. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

i run 2001 GMC SIERRA 3500 dually. i slide my sander to the left about a foot off center and it gives me room for a single stage blower, walk behind spreader and 4 buckets of ice melt on the passenger side. seems to work but i also have 2x4's under the sander that help distribute the weight across the dump body.