1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Off Season Storage for Snow Removal Equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by By-The-Lake, Mar 7, 2015.

1. I wanted to get some ideas/feedback from small business owners on how/where they store their snow removal equipment for the summer (1 or 2 trucks). I run my business from my home and keep my trailer and mowers there but don't have space for storing the plow and salter.

I found a great deal on a nearby outdoor storage site last year to store my plow but also have a Blizzard 1.5 CY Ice chaser to store this year. Is it fine to store the salter outside or would it be a better idea to look for indoor storage for both? I guess it would also be handy if they have some equipment to assist in loading the salter back onto the truck. Looking forward to hearing hearing how others do this.

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

We store our polycaster outside. Fluid film all the moving parts when you put it away and then again before you put it in the truck. Should be fine. We've done it this way for 4 or 5 years now with no problems

3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I too have been working out of a garage from home for the last 10 years. IT SUCKS. I had a plow rack with caster wheels built so that I can set my plow on it and then turn it sideways and push it up against the side wall of my garage. My flatbed with mowers on it backs into the garage next to it. I have additional storage space rented down at a local storage facility. They offer a covered parking area for RV's/boats that I have a stall rented in for my salt spreader body as well as some empty 275g totes and a pallet of bagged salt. I try not to leave anything out exposed to the weather and direct sun, it just ages your equipment faster.

We are currently looking at a house on 10 acres with two outbuildings. Hope to be in there by the end of April.

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ask around with people you know to see if they have building space or know of someone with building space available.

Both my plows, salter, etc goes in a buddies 40x90' building. His brother puts his plow and stuff in there too. I leave the stuff there until mid November when the building gets filled with boats for the winter.

5. snoboss

snoboss Member

oil and tarp after a good wash

6. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

We store everything on top of our shipping container full of salt

7. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Same except FF in lieu of oil!

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Inside my 40'X60" shop year round.

9. ratherbfishin

Lucky man right there!

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Should have gone 50'X100'.....

11. ratherbfishin

Go big or go home...LOL...my dream is a huge garage with a small house...got the opposite going on now!

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Of course storing indoors is best....if you cant, I would make great efforts to liberaly FF and cover your plows/spreaders with tarps/etc.

We own a shop that we outgrew, so we also have rented space near by....our rented space is used to store plows, spreaders, push spreaders, snow shovels, left over bag material, etc, etc during the summer(along with misc items we rarely use) & then some summer stuff during the winter months.
    Rent is paid 12-18 months at a time & we get a sizeable discount because of this. I'm was shooting to buy more land w/shop (or just land & then build another shop) before the next time its due....but a recent deal fell through. Now Im back on the hunt...

13. Thanks very much for sharing your ideas with me. Although I was concerned about storing my salter outdoors, I think after considering my options I will be investing in some Fluid film and tarps for this year and keep my equipment at the same location for now. It is affordable, minutes from home and good for now. I will however be keeping my eyes open for a good deal on indoor storage in the future.

14. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Same here,inside my 41'x 61' shop.

15. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

That's a long skinny shop...... LOL!!!

I store everything out doors without issues.

16. procut

procut Senior Member

Also if they're outside and not resting on concrete I wold atleast get some pallets and set them on those instead of just in the dirt or grass.

17. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Inside year round
    Winter - Heated 30x40 Shop
    Summer - Unheated 60x80
    If you have to leave things outside try and put them out of the sun. I would not tarp - this seems to trap moisture and make things rust.

18. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Just gotta be bigger lol.