1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Off Season Snow Plow Maintanance

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by thelettuceman, Mar 3, 2011.

1. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Regardless of the brand that you own, what should be done in the off season so that you are ready for snow next winter? Thank you for your response.
  2. Sal_Moides

Sal_Moides Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Fluid Film and grease all over.
  3. thelettuceman

I should add .... what should be done with the hydraulic part of the snow plow?
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Change it each year.
  5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

i flush and clean mine every year
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I wait till fall just before the blades go on the trucks, and flush and fill the hydrolic system. I also store them all inside during the summer months. If your storing your outside, then make sure it's off the ground, and greased well. Covering it with a tarp is a good idea as well. Before you store it, make sure you wire brush the rust, and at the very least prime the areas that are rusted, to keep them under control for next season.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

fluid film the crap outta it
  8. thelettuceman

Should you fluid film first or wire brush and prime the rust spots first?
  9. JRT

JRT Junior Member

wirebrush, good primer and then fluid film the crap out of itThumbs Up
  10. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

check all welds for cracks. check all holes too see if any have become oblong. i spend one weekend each year completely disassembling, inspecting, repairing, and painting the plow each year. if the plow is only a couple years old or used infrequently, then doing all this likely isn't necesary.

check hydraulic system for leaks and pitted cylinders. make sure housing doesn't have any cracks. chage fluid.