1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Off-season plow storage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kevo98, Apr 8, 2004.

1. What is the best way to store a plow during the off season. Ideally I guess it would be inside but what is recommended for outside storage as far as covering it(or leaving it uncovered) or coating it (like with WD40 to keep moisture displaced in the critical areas).
    Thanks, Kev
  2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i would oil all non coated metal and wipe down your cylinders with a oily rag not wd-40. and then plastic wrap the hole thing; o, i also would make sure to chain it up some how so it doeasn't "walk off"
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I would avoid plastic wrap. It will only trap condensation. A trap or other covering that will allow airflow is the best if it must be kept outside.
  4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I like to coat the pistons with grease or neverseize so they don't rust.
  5. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Since I built my new shop (80X120) I just lift the plows, sanders, snow buckets and pusher into some of the racking with the Bobcat. But before that I just stacked the sanders on top of each other, tarped them. With the plows I would stand them up on the blade right next to each other and then tarped them also, and the buckets just got flipped over so they didn't collect water and let them sit till it snowed.
  6. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Clean and paint blade assembly as needed.
    Be sure the lift ram is fully collapsed.
    Apply general purpose petroleum grease to exposed chrome surfaces of rams to prevent rust.
    Lubricate all pivot points.
    Drain, flush and refill hydraulic system.

That's what my western manual has to say about it.
  7. Never thought of checking the manual. Thanks for all the tips, it is greatly appreciated.
  8. penberth

penberth Member

"Be sure the lift ram is fully collapsed."

I've heard / read that the lift ram should be in the up position when stored. Maybe this is only for Meyer?
  9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Mine is in a garage on blocks. I make sure the light tower is fully down and the whole plow is covered with wd40. It might make it greasy but it prevents rust from mositure. Plus, I take the side markers off and have a tarp over it just in case.:waving:
  10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I just washed mine last weekend and drained and refilled all the fluids. Then i dried it and put it at the very back of the garage. I make sure there is no possibility of snow before i put the plow away for the season as i have to take half the stuff out of one side of the garage to get the plow all the way up to the back wall of the garage. I have alredy put a bunch of stuff infront of it so its barely visible now. Come late october early nov i will move it out a few feet and put everything behind it.