1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Off season Jobs

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by M&M SnowRemoval, Jan 31, 2005.

1. M&M SnowRemoval

M&M SnowRemoval Junior Member
    from NJ

What does everone do in the off season when they are not plowing? What type of buisness or where do you all work? Thanks :waving:

2. Go Pats

Go Pats Junior Member

Off season

I'm a full time fire fighter all year. In the 8 months I'm not plowing I landscape so my trucks are always busy. Most of my competition in my area doing parking lots are in landscaping, paving, construction etc. There are also a few one truck operations that use their daily drivers.

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Snow plow season is the off-season for us! We do lawn care and landscaping about 9 months out of the year. In the winter (or dry parts of the summer) I try to have a house on the side we are working on. Last winter we totally gutted and remodelled a house in between snows. This helps keep the guys off unemployment allowing me to retain good employees, and makes some extra money. I also volunteer with 2 fire departments, and run with the EMS on one of those departments. We usually only see about 5 plowable snows per year (2" or more).

4. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Farm chemical salesman in the spring and summer. Plan to push snow in the fall and my favorite, pushing snow in the winter.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

In the summer we sealcoat and stripe :drinkup:

6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Home remodeling , Decks and Patois.

deck stokes 029.jpg

7. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Off Season

I repair, rebuild, and install amusement rides for carnivals, amusement parks and fun centers. I do most of my work for carnivals and warranty work for manufactures. I also do a lot of rebuild work for finance companies who have repo equipment that they need to fix up to sell.

I am just starting a rebuild project as we speak so my season is starting now but I have until May before things really get busy and everything comes to a halt around November. The winter is a nice break for me so plowing is perfect and it gets me out of the house.

8. jreiff

jreiff Junior Member
    from MN

SnoFarmer, where at in MN are you?

9. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Fulltime meat cutter at dominicks and landscaping.

10. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Very little else. Snowplowing is my business. Ok, well I take my kids swimming in the summer :drinkup:

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Were in Duluth. where you located :waving:

12. Farmer J

Farmer J Junior Member
    from Ontario

We cash crop 1800 acres. It works out preety well in the spring but in the fall farming and snowplowing overlap some years. The tractors pay for thems selves a lot faster when they get worked year round.

13. FireParm84

FireParm84 Junior Member

job

Im a full time paid firefighter/paramedic. We do plowing in winter and aeration, seeding and fertilization in spring and fall. We dont work summers. The weather is to nice at the beach!!!!!!!!!!!

14. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I think I like your summer job better than mine.

15. winterangel

winterangel Member
    from Ohio

This is my off season, plowing white into green :D During this off season, I own a landscape, lawn maintenance company.
    In between all that! I'm a mommy :dizzy:

Who said off season?!

Hey hickslawns where are you located in the northwest? :waving:

16. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

I have a lawn service business plus I work as a High Voltage Electrican for the Federal Gov"t

Frank

17. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

lawn/landscape business
    but also a full time party animal.....visiting friends at colleges....LOL
    :drinkup: :drinkup:

18. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I plow in the off season. Or sit at home and sleep as I've been doing lately. I install fences the rest of the year.

19. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

I repo...anything from tools...autos...semi's...planes...rv's. Miss 2 payments! :gunsfiring:

20. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Planes, thats interesting, how do you repo a plane? Just curious, Iam not saying that i don't believe you just sounds interesting :drinkup: :waving: