1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Off-road Diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sdplowing, Sep 25, 2007.

1. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

Two questions. 1. What's the difference between off-road diesel and regular diesel? 2. What's the penalty for using off-road diesel in my pickup? $3.09 a gallon for diesel is friggin rediculous:realmad:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If I'm not mistaken it's red and blue. If caught the fine can be more than what you saved.Plus I think they hit you for back taxes.
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

1. I'm pretty sure the only difference is a dye and road tax.
    2. The penalty, I'm not sure but probably a nice fine.
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The Ministry of Finance will dip your tanks here. You will save money but you are always worried about getting checked. The fine here is $1000 and you have to get your tank steam cleaned, plus they can go back 7 years and ask for back taxes if you can't show receipts. I did it when I was younger and my nerves were better.
  5. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

The fines vary, but a friend of mine in Florida got pulled over and had his tank dipped for off-road diesel. Luckily he was running regular diesel, but the officer said that the fine is $3000 if found, and $1500 for simply refusing a tank sample.

Most off-road diesel is still only Low-Sulfer and doesn't have to be ULSD until 2010, so it'll screw up your LMM if you have one - It won't hurt older diesels.
  6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

If you're talking about your pickup, I have never heard of NH Highway Enforcement checking a little "private" vehicle. If you're marked and registered or at least working commercially, then they have jurisdiction and can ask. But they generally only stick tanks in weigh stations, and you don't need to go in the weigh station with a pickup. The likelihood of them ever learning you are doing it is highly unlikely. Does that make it legal? Not really. Could you get away with it? Most probably. Do I care if the State and the big oil companies make more money by gouging the lifeblood out of every last one of us? Obviously not.
    Don't go into a weigh station if you are under 10k. Don't be registered or advertise that you are working commercially, and they can't look in your truck without a warrant. The more I think about it, it would probably be a huge pita for them to try to "stick" a modern pickup tank with the ball valve blocking it. I doubt that they are real worried about a guy with a 34 gallon tank when the big boys are carrying 300 gallon tanks.
    The Big Oil bastids and the Feds got it pushed through to outlaw private users who burn WVO in their privately owned vehicles, in any amount over 400 gallons. So if you burn over 400 gallons of french fry oil, you are supposed to keep track of it and pay road tax and fuel tax and every other tax to keep the fat crooks rich.
    Bout time someone throws some tea in the harbor.
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I got dipped when my 02 was 1 day old and she had no problem shoving this needle like thing down my filler neck. I'm not sure what it's like in the states but if you do get caught it's a PITA. Do you really need a search warrant to check a fuel tank? Isn't running off road diesel on the road kind of like tax evasion.
  8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Here in Minnesota the DOT will fine you $10,000 if they discover you're running off road. I get checked at least twice a month and everytime I ask the inspector how many people have been caught and the numbers are staggering...over 600 so far this year! I suck at math but I think that's $6 MILLION in fines.

Bottom line, don't run off road diesel.
  9. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

As much fun as a $10,000 fine would be:dizzy: I'd probably have to sell part of my liver to pay it. I thought diesel was supposed to be the cheapest of the fuels, not the most expensive. Will a D-max run on dirty diapers?

10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I never heard of anyone up here in NH getting stopped. We are not required to pull off at weight stations and I bet that when they look. We have plenty of Canadian trucks running junk and overloaded cargo to keep them busy.
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

LOL funny you mention that, we have the opposite problem... plenty of American trucks all clapped out and overloaded, keeps the MTO on their toes! Especially trucks like U-Hauls, out of Oregon... showed a mountain of pulled license plates on TV on the last Wreck-Check... something like 300 American U-hauls alone...? That was just one traffic stop location near Toronto...
  12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Get stopped by the State Police in Illinois and they may check your tank. I've seen it done many times. They don't need a search warrant. I was told that with so many people purchasing diesel pickups these days, the government is getting more concerned with violators.
  13. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I dont even drive a diesel and this pisses me off. Tax evation my a**. Being a truck owner alone we get wacked with enough taxes. Shoot my property tax per year is $700+, just got my registration renewed at $238 because my truck is 9200gvwr, nevermind the cost of filling the tank everyweek. Here in CT we have the highest fuel tax in the nation at 25cents per gallon on gasoline and 26cents on diesel. Wheres this money go? "To better the public roads"... NOT! I cant drive down one road or highway without hitting potholes. So if i had a diesel id be damn proud not giving these bastids another dime of my money. Damn straight id fill it up with french fry oil.
  14. grandview

Hey Boss you must live in a shack for only 700.00:D Try NY for gas tax and it's even more in my area (Buffalo):waving:
    I seen the state dip trucks at the auction with all the farmers around
  15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Off road diesel simply doesn't have the road tax added, hence you can't use it in a road driven vehicle. Business owners(most of us are on this site) will get to write fuel purchases off at tax time anyway, I don't see what the big deal is really. You pay road tax with gasoline. Fines are not worth the savings.

I pay $3000 a year in property taxes whats that got to do with anything?
  16. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I pay $7000+ in property tax a year......and drive a diesel...
  17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

On the subject of property taxes/income taxes etc, come to Maine. We're in second place for taxes as percentage of income (Vermont took first place).

I was told by my oil dealer that the fine for using offroad diesel in an onroad vehicle is $10,000. For what I'd save in taxes, it's not worth the risk although getting stuck is unlikely. First - it IS tax evasion and Second - fuel tax is a deduction every year. So, if you didn't pay it and still claimed it, you could potentially be fined $10,000 for using it, tried for tax evasion and tried again for a fraudulent tax return.

Yep, good idea. Go ahead and use offroad diesel to save, what, $5 or $6 on a 30 gallon tank?
  18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

:realmad: Try 10,000+ in the "live free or die" state.:cry:
  19. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Im talking only on one truck $700 tax. not house tax
    On one vehicle?...No. Im only talking about my truck. Well if you add up all the things i own, my total property tax per year is right around $2500. . . i dont own a house.
    But property tax on my parents house is over $6000 and its 1800sq ft. on 0.75 acres.
  20. grandview

. Shoot my property tax per year is $700+,

Hey Boss I know you can't type:D So I won't beat you down like Giada did. (can't forget about her!):salute: