1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Off Brand - Imported Tractors

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by MIDTOWNPC, Apr 3, 2010.

1. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Ok I have started seeing alot of ads come up for these types of tractors. Not really off brands I guess you could see but not your every day run of the mill brands like newholland, kubota and deere.

I have seen used and new

Valtra Valmet?
    Foton
    Jinma
    Branson
    Kiote

What is the deal with all these. I mean this tractor in the picture is new and is for sale for $36 000 canadian. Its a perkins engine... isnt that the same thats in bobcats?

Im looking at this and thinking ok can this tractor make me money pushing snow only.
    If all it does is push snow do these numbers work? YES they do. Whats the downside

Breakdowns, Parts, Warranty anyone have one.

9787jne_19.jpg

2. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

mahindra is another one available down here.

Do other things made in China that cost a lot less perform equally as well?? John Deere still has parts available from machines they made 50 years ago. I can assure you that if your "job shop" tractor lasts that long parts will not be available. I would be afraid of parts availability period with a job shop imported tractor, and your probably going to need a lot of parts

Imports from 3rd world countries are going to be the end of both of our countries economy. I will spare you from my complete thoughts on low priced imports.

3. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

Valta has been around many years in Europe
    Foton China
    Jinma China
    Branson, rebranded TYM from Korea
    Kioti made in Korea.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the Chinese tractors have a good motor but that's about it. Plus dealer support and parts availability are also important. When the clutch goes out of the tractor and it take 8 weeks to get parts the money you saved might not seem like so much. If you just wanted a tractor for around your small acerage it would be fine but I wouldn't want to depend on them. Kubota use to be a off brand and it has proved itself now but it wasn't from China.

5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Are the South Koreans not doing better with support these days? I have heard good things about those two. Only from none heavy use guys though.

6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

This winter we used a John Deere 40 hp compact for doing our sidewalks and internals... First night out as buddy just begins to drive down the street and the left side upright linkage of the 3 point hitch snaps and it cant be welded... The dealers dont stock these parts cause there not super common to break i guess, but luckily Deeres wearhouse in grimsby had one and was able to get it to use the next day and the problem was taken care of... I woulnt have mattered how much money I saved on an import tractor when I would have had customers screaming at me for the next 2 or 3 months until the boat came in if it was an import tractor.... Thats pretty much how i became sold on Deere...

7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

A good friend of mine bought a Kiote (60-70 hp) FWA with a cab a few years ago. I kept telling him to spend the money on a Deere but he told me the Kiote was just as good. He had no issues for the first 500 hours. After that it went to hell. In 1500 hours he went through 3 clutches(each one took a few weeks to get in). The tractor over heated all the time. He had to replace all the nuts and bolts in the cab because they were rattling out. He bent 4 or 5 wheels in the time he owned this thing. This thing never pushed snow, all it ever did was pull a 7ft mower. Fast forward a few years and now he has 2 Deere's.
    Robert

8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i have a hobby farmer (100acres, a couple cows, 5horses) who swears by his Montana brand tractor. He absolutely loves it, paid $15000 less then a JD and has no real problems with it and there is dealer support close by. I wouldn't have even given it a look myself at the time, but so far he is 4 years into his machine, and he does all his haying and baling with it, big rounds too.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The main parts warehouse for CNH is in Brampton and JD is in Grimsby and if by an off chance they don't have the parts they'll have them in 24 hours which is a big plus. Another thing to realize is it's great to save 15k but when you sell it you'll lose alot more then that on resale.

10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

very true, resale on any import tractor knockoff, is going to be very low, good advice JD Dave.

11. MIDTOWNPC

Interesting points from all.

Has anyone ever gone and looked at some of these dealers that advertise all these tractors.

I actually went one time to a small little place cause I was intersted in pricing one, and by accident the guy gave me his cost sheet. What a markup!!! That was a year or so back. I still have it somewhere. They come crated and depending on what you order there are different prices for the shipping. The costs are alot less then some advertise. This was for the small 23 hp Jinma's.

I think there was something someone mentioned before about the imported generators, that they worked fine for a bit but any repairs and no one would work on one.

I just wanted to see what opinions you guys had and if anyone had any experience.

I guess a good comparison would be to get a cost per hour on some equal sized machines and compare how long they last typically. thats alot of varibles but still.

12. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Im pretty sure it was JD Dave that brainwashed u into going Green! :D

13. Pristine PM ltd

If Creative falls in the forest, and we ignore him, does he make a sound... or just...?

14. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Dave, do u think Kubota has similar resale values as John Deere?

(keeping in mind that the machines are propery greased & maintained)

15. MIDTOWNPC

is there a book on equipment. like a blue book?

or just use online comparison?

16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

he kinda scares me with how he knows more about my companie(s) then I do :dizzy:

Im starting to get scared to go out plowing alone now :laughing:

17. Pristine PM ltd

aw, he's harmless, he just likes to watch from a distance... as his police record will tell.

18. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

That was me. Expensive lesson learned.

I looked into Fotons a few years ago, I dont trust them.

19. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

The distributor of the brand I went to see sold them out of his barn, on some back gravel road 30kms from civilization. I'm thinking WTF? as we're pulling into his driveway.

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Kubota's are very good machine's but they don't have the resale value of Deere. I just read that it was Honda's 40th year in Canada, who would have thought 40 years ago that they would control so much of the market now. I'm sure there is some good off brands but I will gauruntee they're not from China.