1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

% of snow income vs. lawn income

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by xtreem3d, Dec 27, 2008.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

hey guys,
    this is mostly for the guys north of me (st. louis) i was wondering what your % 's are for snow income vs. lawn (or something else you do) . i'm not familiar with how long some of your winter seasons last or yearly total snowfall. not necessarily this year but just an average over a few years,
  2. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

65- lawn
    35 snow
  3. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I try not to count the snow removal money towards the yearly salary, sometimes it don't snow! I drive my own tractor trailer (sold most of my LCO eqiupment, bought a refridgerated trailer) most of the year to make my yearly salary. Driving a semi on snow and ice where theres supposed to be asphalt sucks. I'd rather drive the Dodge in the winter anyway. So I plow snow. Call it 90-10. If I don't make anything plowing, I'll still get to eat.
  4. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

40% snow
    60% everything else
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

60% Snow
    40% else
  6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

10% maintance
    60% Landscape & Irrigation Installation
    30% Snow
  7. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

75% to 85% moving dirt and 15 to 25% moving snow, my snow is growing faster than moving dirt so snow could be, should be more next year unless my dirt moving grows also.

RODHALL Senior Member

99.9 % snow
    00.1% lawn care ( i just can't seem to pay myself to cut my own grass.

Snow 10-15%
    Car and truck repairs 85-90%
    Car and truck repairs pays the bills... moving snow was started because because i have 400 ft of driveway and parking lot to clear. plus it is something i can do when work is slow. it has truned into 2 trucks running 5-6 hours per storm.
  9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

70% landscaping and 30% snow/salt. I can and will always make more in the regular season. Dont have to rely on the weather to cut grass or move mulch, etc. The grass always grows and the leaves always fall, etc you get the point
  10. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Everything else: %100

Snow: A bonus

Just can't count on it to snow. I think it was 2000 or 2001, we had 1 storm.

FISHERBOY Senior Member

80% snow 10% lawn maintenance 10% landscape maintenance
  12. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

98% Management (Multiple Stores)
    2% Snow

Started plowing years ago to make some money. Kept doing it cause i have so much of my own stuff to keep plowed out. I just plow now for a little gas money and to pay for my hunting lease and other misc. expenses.
  13. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I wish It was 100% grass...80% lawn 20% snow
  14. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

About 50-50 snow-commercial maintainence, Next season if all goes well it'll be more like 70-30 snow on top. The company I came from before was like 70 snow 10 maint 10 landscape construction and 10 gen construction. I LOVE SNOW.........if I keep saying I almost believe it after I haven't slept for 30 hrs and I'm still out salting refreeze or stacking piles....LOL
  15. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

Lately its about 60 snow 40 lawn maint. and excavating on gross numbers.

Higher profit on the snow though.
  16. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

90% roofing 10% snow...i wish the weather was better and it was all roofing!!!
  17. Dirtboy953B

Dirtboy953B Senior Member

40% Farming
    40% Excavating
    10% Snow

Wish it was more snow