1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

# of salt apps

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mountain, Jan 24, 2002.

1. mountain

mountain PlowSite.com Veteran

Do you salt after every push or wait till snow ends? Our high traffic lots ( gas stations , stores ) get salted after every push , they are wet and black even before state roads usually. One account complained that many applications was unnessecary and refused to pay. We feel salting every push really helps when plowing the following time . What's the norm?
  2. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

Our main site that we stay on gets apps. per push, others as well because the amount of time between pushes. Safety over money.
    What does contract call for?
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The # of times i salt,depends on a lot of factors,traffic is the biggest factor,then temperature.I salt my busiest accounts every timje i plow,unless they are closed,then I may skip salting unitl im done.Also dont forget that sometimes,its snowing so hard,you really cant get back to a lot to salt it in between pushes,this has happened to me a bunch of times too.If temps are going to be in the low 20's.,or colder during and right after the storm,I use a lot more salt,than when the temp are around freezing.You dont get a second chance when its `15 degreres out,if you have ice,you have a problem,its not going anywhere at those temps without lots of treated salt.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

of the places that we do salt most are every push....we only salt 25% of the places we push
  5. mountain

mountain PlowSite.com Veteran

The customer that complained was one that I sub from another plower , my contract calls for salt after every push. Because it's in the contract I expect to be paid (hopefully).

John , We do the same if they are closed and in the high 20's or more

Hope we see more snow soon!! going crazy staring at this computer
  6. CCLC

CCLC Member

We'll salt after a push during daytime hours, but during overnight pushes we usuall wait until 4:00 AM or so. This still gives enough time to create clear lots before opening.
  7. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

We salt when icy conditions are expected or if areas of standing water/slush have re-frozen and become icy. We don't salt snow, we plow it. If there is hardpack that hasn't scraped away after plowing then we may salt if it's too cold to melt on it's own. Our customers would balk at salting every single push and I don't think that is required either.

Of course, if your list consists of retirement homes and hospitals, then that'd be different. But gas stations? No.