1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

# of salt apps in Dec for the Dayton Ohio area

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dmontgomery, Jan 4, 2011.

1. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have a customer that thinks I salted to many times in Dec. Claims he talked to "other snow-plowers" that didn't salt as many times. I followed the letter of the contract I have with him......so I am not worried about it........

He is a self admitted cheapskate.......

So how many different dates did you salt???? I didn't have any days that I salted more than once

2. dmontgomery

are you north or south of Dayton??? Thanks for the reply...

3. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

13 in hamilton area. how about you

4. dmontgomery

I know it was not 13.....I have to check........thanks for the reply

5. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I'm in northern Butler county and I think I did 3. Of course my customers are cheapskates when it comes to salt, till someone falls. So how many did you do?

6. dmontgomery

I had 9......and that was in Kettering/Centerville area....

7. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

For me that would be a lot, but it depends on your contract. Did you get paid for 9?

8. dmontgomery

Not yet.......but by the contract it is completely in line..... plus I also have dated photos of municipal and other private contractors out salting on each of the dates.....

he did not say he was not going to pay

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

This may come off as a bit arrogant, so I apologize.

If the guy doesn't trust you, nothing you say or do is going to change that. If this is a good account, it is probably worth salvaging, but if he constantly questions your service and invoicing, then it might be a wise move to settle on this one and tell him that you will no longer be providing service in his area.

10. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

or put him on a seasonal/monthly installment. He pays, you do. There isnt much to question in that arrangement.

11. dmontgomery

I am OK with firing him if it comes to that. But it is a good account (actually 2).....and he is a good contact for other business leads. I really don't think it is about him trusting me.....I think it is just him hating to spend money on ice and snow. He probably needs to to get over it. I looked back over records for the last 4 winters and 9 salt events is 30% higher than the average.... But there was also a December with only 1 salt event.

12. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

All of my accounts got 9 saltings, half got 13 due to pretreating. So right on par!

13. dmontgomery

thanks Drot.........appreciate the info

14. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

We did 8 on an account in centerville. That was a 24/7 account. Some of ours got by with less since we did not do it on weekends or weather just didn't hit them etc. So I think you are about right with 9.

15. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

We did 8 saltings and two plows. Hope we get more this month. I got alot of salt in the bin.