1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

# of plows for seasonal contract

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by wints761, Sep 11, 2009.

1. wints761

wints761 Junior Member

I am in the Minneapolis area and am wondering if anyone has advice for figuring # of plows for montly contract. The trigger would be at 1/2". Any info helpful.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

At a half inch you'd be better off salting then plowing. Very hard plowing that little.
  3. wints761

wints761 Junior Member

Sorry I should have specified that it is mostly sidewalks. There is 1 main drive in the back but the majority are the sidewalks.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Even a 1/2 trigger on sidewalks is low. I do all my accounts on a per push basis.
  5. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

1/2 i would say about 30 visits.
  6. JTK324

JTK324 Senior Member

The goal is to sand/salt the hell out of them before you even think about dropping plow in the lot or a shovel on the sidewalks it is alot less money and the profit margin is a lot higher
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

So I should start applying salt at say, a half inch thick or so and melt all the snow that falls?

How does sand melt snow or ice?

For the OP, call the NWS office, or check their website, get some info from them and start crunching numbers.
  8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

What an environmentalist! We all should use as little salt as possible. I'm no tree hugger but I see the way some people salt, and it is overkill.