1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

% of income

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dirtmandan2, Nov 28, 2008.

1. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I'm wondering what the annual % of your income is plowing/salting/removal... For me it is aprox. 25%

RODHALL Senior Member

had to put something here to fit 10 characters per reply
  3. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Typically 25%, but last season it was almost 50%. 100 inches in Milwaukee area last year.
  4. dirtmandan2

You guys got hammered last winter, we had aprox 80" and that was plenty for me.. I was darn near sick of it by the end of christmas...
  5. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Was 15% 2 years ago now over 30%.
  6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

5 to 7 usually
  7. dirtmandan2

black irish... do you think its more of a headache now with all that equipment? reason I'm asking is that i'm running 4 trucks and trying to decide whether to call it good enough or buy more or possibly hire subs in the future...
  8. dirtmandan2

black irish. do you think its more of a headache now with all that equipment? reason I ask is that i'm running 4 trucks and trying to decide whether to call it good enough, buy more equipment or hire subs in the future...oops
  9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I break out to about a 10% total for plowing, and salting. My main business is installing medical research equipment, so the snow removal is just to keep my guys busy during the winter, so I don't have to hire new guys each year.
  10. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

More than 80% last year was plow income.

Prior to that about 60% plow.

This year 90%+ plow.

Short term pain for long term gain (i.e. summer off at the cottage!)
  11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Snowplowing ~ 70%, it's a business not a hobby. I have a lot of fun with it and Love doing it.
  12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Id say 50% of my business revenue comes from snow.
  13. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

It can be a headache,lots to prep that's for sure. I'd buy bigger equipment and/or hire subs also. Finding exp. competent operators for my equipment sometimes a challenge.GL
  14. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll be getting closer to 50%.

In the summer, my contracts are about $16,000 per month, this winter my contracts are right on, literally, $8,000 per month, with a handful of per times to cover fuel / wages per event.
  15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

For me it is about 40%.
  16. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

In an Average year in NJ I should be at 30%.
    The last two years with almost no snow I was less than 10%. Last year 1 plowable event:eek:
  17. 70% of your annual revenue is from plowing and you're in Massachusetts? Wow, that's great. I didn't think it snowed enough here for someone to make a living on plowing alone.

I don't know the percentage off the top of my head but plowing is an attempt to keep me and my truck busy in the winter when my towboats are out of the water and not working.
  18. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

My main business is own an auto/truck repair shop started doing snowplowing to make a few bucks on those snowy dead days at the shop started with one truck now im up to 5 trucks sanders etc .. Starting to become too much and not making as much profit as when i had one truck and less headaches.. but with the way the economy has been in my field in this area the last 3 winters have played a very large role in my income if i had to guess in numbers around 65-75 percent of my winter income is from snow removal but thats not including the cost to keep trucks and equipment on the road.When i was a 1 truck operation i wanted more trucks more accounts more equipment .. now i want less .. guess we are never happy lol
  19. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

% doesn't really mean anything unfortunately. We just started plowing again to keep guys busy in the winter more than anything else so right now it's only a few accounts plus some residentials. 1% of what we do annually maybe :)
  20. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

50-75% it keeps me busy in the winter when im not working on the farm