1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

of course im new!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by johnnyhem, Jan 7, 2011.

1. johnnyhem

johnnyhem Junior Member

Hi there, I am new to bidding snow blowing ect.. i have a 1600 ft sidewalk i am bidding on, no salt, no driveways, very simple. i was wondering how to bid? the trigger is after any snow fall. and billed per occurrence. i figure about 3 hours 2 guys ( 1 being me). i am thinking $200 per clear. any suggestions? am i off base lol or on target?
    thank you

2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

why not just go in hourly on it, that way no one is ripping anyone off. If you do per occurence the customer will be pissed in a 2" storm and your in and out in no time, then come a 12" storm your there for a while, you'll lose out. Bid on the walk way hourly with your travel time.

We do a sidewalk in the same situation, but we salt, and its only about 1000ft long and about 4' wide. Its the day after, so what evers on it then. Site is about 25 minutes away. I went out there cleared about 1" off the walk with a 3ft wide push plow type shovel (two passes I was done and applied 50lbs of ice melt by hand with a 5g bucket and was back to the shop in under 2 hours.

Its hard to give a a time with out knowing more information then its a 1600ft sidewalk. is it 1600ft by 10feet or 1600 by 4feet. That will greatly affect your time on the site. We usually get around the same amount no matter what the depth of snow is. Light snows we are in and out really quick. We use the double handled push style shovels (usually up to 1" we can push about half the sidewalk before we need to throw the snow off the shovel. and the pass going back is just a clean up) anything up to around 6" we use the single stage blower, after 6" we just pull out the big two stage blower. So our time really never varies. We have the right tools to be most efficiant on that job.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  3. johnnyhem

johnnyhem Junior Member

what you say makes sense. it is 1600 x 4. i have a 20" 2 stage blower. of course i am wondering how to write in the bid per/hour, it is for a Homeowners Ass. so i am not sure if it should be a set price or p/h. either way i feel it would be close to the same price.
    thanks again .