1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OEM Led Headlights

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by IA Farmer, Jan 7, 2016.

1. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Was just curious if Western will be coming out with an led headlight anytime soon like Boss has.

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The question I have is do LED headlights actually create enough heat to melt snow off of them ?

My little bumper LED's disappear in the snow, as well as my backup lamps. Granted, it only takes a quick swipe to clear them, but I would think headlamps are a little more important to have functioning all the time.

Except for old GV and his old "one eyed Jack" plow.;)

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

As far as I know the Nighthawks are still the headlight of choice for Western. I have seen no bulletins discussing the concept of LEDs. As far as melting snow goes.... Since all late model headlights have removable bulbs encased in sealed enclosures heat and snow melting is not a significant consideration. On a cold day snow has no trouble sticking to Nighthawks, and any other late model lights, and remaining there after hours of operation. Dirt is more of a concern than snow and dirt won't clear itself no matter how hot your lights get.... It is the responsibility of the operator to keep their headlights clear of anything that might accumulate over them.. On a commercial vehicle, like a plow, I would expect operators to do their "walk around" and clear off anything affecting their visibility to others and their ability to see for themselves too. Counting on heat from the bulbs to melt the snow is irresponsible.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  4. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

the new boss lights have heating elements in them to keep them clear. Also the design of the lens is flat so that the snow will not catch in the lips of the housing and build up easier.
    I am a big fan of led's and the design i will be looking of fisher/western lights when they come out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEH5G79rq5M

5. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Those irresponsible bastages........

Damn them to HELL !!!! YOU DAMN DIRTY APE !!!!

:cool:

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I just bought a LED Light bar to mount to my Boss headgear, cheaper than buy the new LED headlights and plan to use the OEM headlights on the road.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Never had plow lights yet that built up enough heat to melt all the snow off in cold weather.

And I go back to glass sealed beams, not even halogens.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Last time I did a "walk around", was... well, when I passed my CDL... :laughing:

9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Mark, who are you kidding, you go back to gas lanterns....

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I knew someone was going to say that, but I wasn't expecting it to be you.

11. mishnick

We put LEDs on the big highway plows we build. They are so bright the guys in the next bay complain that they are getting welding flash from them..... They are much smaller than nighthawks but much brighter. I have seen people put HIDs and LEDs on Western's, no problem....

While I have the photos loaded have a look at the beast these LEDs are mounted on..... 24" wide! One plow two lanes. The ultimate Wide-out.

LEDs.jpg

Volvo3.jpg

12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

like to see the back side of that plow. What make/model lights are those?

13. mishnick

I will get a closeup look at them tomorrow and post a pic with part number and manufacturer.

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Nick, how bright are those at night?
    Are the high and low?
    Seriously thinking about them for mine.

Randall, those look like truck lite ones.

15. mishnick

Bright?? Much brighter than Nighthawks. I will check on how many lumins they are rated for and can check what they go for here in Canada $$. Should be cheaper in USA. Stand by I will get details tomorrow.

And yes they have high and low. Just like the old style round sealed beams.
    Could very well be Truck-lite as we are a TL reseller.

16. mishnick

17. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

$850 at Napa...

Wow

18. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Great lights. Significantly brighter. And if a baseball wielding maniac comes at my lights, they'll hold up just fine:help:

19. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

20. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ