1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OEM front wheel bearing- where to get one?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Oct 29, 2009.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Does anyone know a good place to get an OEM front wheel bearing for the truck in my sig? I think my passengers' side is on its way out- dealer wants $465 for it- I've found Timken bearings online- for around $175- are these as good as OEM?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Matt

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

Timken is a good bearing company.. I have used only Timken bearings in my race car..
    and sound like the price is right!!

3. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Timken is the original wheel bearing in the truck if im not correct, sounds ike a great deal.

4. plowinginma

from MA

I thought that may be the case.. I wasn't positive either..

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Ok thanks for the info- just got off the phone with my mechanic- he mentioned the symptoms the truck has ("grinding feeling" around left turns) could also be due to a bad CV joint- thoughts?

What's the cost of a new axle for the passengers' side? Symptoms of this?

Could it also just be due to the Mud terrain tires I have?

6. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

sounds like a wheel bearing to me.

ps-Timken is the best money can buy

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Ok thanks for the info- just got off the phone with my mechanic- he mentioned the symptoms the truck has ("grinding feeling" around left turns) could also be due to a bad CV joint- thoughts?

What's the cost of a new axle for the passengers' side? Symptoms of this?

Could it also just be due to the Mud terrain tires I have?

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Can a CV go bad if the boot is still intact (no noticeable tears in the boot)?

What are symptoms of a bad CV?

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Yes the boot was fine on mine but in 4wd when turning it would click very bad I replaced it and its been fine since. Preety easy job to change them out.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Mostly what you described. Should be able to jack the tire up and figure it out. If it's a guessing game, CV shafts are pretty cheap. And quicker to change than the wheel bearing.

11. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

a wheel bearing would become more noticeable when you go around a corner and make a grinding or low groaning noise. going . a CV will usually ONLY make noise (usually, not always) when turning sharply, like moving around a parking lot or something and it makes a more pronounced clicking or clunking noise as you turn the wheels more sharply.

For the record, ALWAYS buy wheel bearings with the best warranty you can get. I have had horrible luck lately with the lifetime wheel bearings from NAPA. I've had to redo cavaliers, dodge 1/2 ton trucks, chevy trucks, and a few others all containing Napa lifetime wheel bearings. At least I won't get stuck with the cost of the bearing.

Next time around I'll check out autozone and see if theirs are Neapco bearings (very good) and also consider OEM.

12. plowinginma

from MA

Well I speak for experience of course when I say you could just Ignore the problem (it was the middle of a snow storm when I heard the awful grinding noise from my wheel)..and turn up the radio .. of course your tire falls off and jams the rotor into the caliper bracket.. I then knew for sure it was a wheel bearing !!

13. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

the bearings from napa suck. ive used them and replaced them a few times. go to autozone, they sell the timken bearings. depending on your bearing set up, it may come with new wheel studs too. on my dodge you have to press out all the wheel studs to change the rotor/bearing. and the timkens from autozone come with a new set.

14. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Bought a timken from advanced less than a year later abs speed sensor malfunctioned. Bought ac delco from rockauto.com. driver side is from napa 3+ years old

15. plowinginma

from MA

Thinking about this some more ... Didn't GM have a recall on just this issue? I am almost positive they did...

16. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

Just called to confirm...Napa no longer carries Timken. i've never had a timken fail unreasonably. the lifetime bearings I got from napa were japanese if i remember right. SKS and some other brand...as much as I love napa, I wont buy any more of their u joints or wheel bearings.

timken bearings and spicer or neapco joints are still the best I have used, but they are rebranded so many times its hard to tell what you're actually getting.

17. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

youve got a bad u joint. cheap and semi easy to replace

18. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

what would a U-joint in his driveshaft have to do with a grinding noise while he turns left?

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sharp turns WILL bring out the worst of u-joints, but only in 4wd. Clicking noise is likely a CV joint. Grinding is more likely to be wheel bearing. Usually wheel bearings will be more noisy when you load them up, like in a turn at speed.

20. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

if its a wheelbearing its a constant hum or grinding. When you are going down the road when you pitch the wheel away from the bad bearing the hum gets louder because the weight of the truck shifts onto the bearing. A cv joint makes a clicking noise. yes they can go out if the boot is still intact but in my experience the wheel bearings tend to go out sooner and much more frequently than the cv joints, especially after a couple years of the plow adding a little extra crush weight to the bearing.

The best way to test is jack it up, put it on stands, have someone put it in 4x4 and CAREFULLY let the wheels spin at idle. Use an auto stethoscope much like http://www.carparts.com/PERFORMANCE-TOOL-AUTOMOTIVE-STETHOSCOPE/GP_2017895_N__10618.car?zmam=73771597&zmas=17&zmac=100&zmap=10618-2017895 and touch the wheel bearing housing, if one side is louder than the other you know what it is. Just make sure it is the constant growl or its not the wheel bearing.