1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

odd setup...

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by brickslayer, Jan 22, 2012.

1. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

I have 99 dodge diesel. Installed boss 13pin truckside. (Which is my 3rd time on same style truck) Here's my problem, I bought the truck used and previous owner installed HID lights. They are wired to factory headlight plug on passenger side ONLY then ran jumper wires over to driver side. So basically two headlights running off passenger headlight plug. When hooking up the plow harness I just used the passenger (rightside) to tie into headlights. Everything seemed to be fine, the plow/truck switch turned truck headlights on and off.

UNTIL last night I tried to use brights on the truck and the headlights turn off!? Anyone have any theories??? Is it because I only plugged in one side of the harness? I'm aware of that plug you leave standard for dodge and reversed for chevy ect. But I don't know what the reason for it. I don't want to start switching things around without knowing what I'm doing.

2. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

To be noted, I haven't hooked a plow to the truck yet. So I'm not sure how the plow will function or if the plow lights will turn off on bright. Waiting on plow to be rewired from 11pin to 13pin. I have other boss plows that I can hook up if needed for diagnosis. Thanks in advance for any help.

3. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

Some HID lights are for low beam only.

4. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

My high beams worked prior to installation of wire harness.

5. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

I'd love to see an answer to this issue you have as I have the same problem, I had my boss plow installed "professionall" 4 years ago. Since that day I haven't had high beams. When I pull the multifunctions switch for high beams all lights on my truck shut off. This is on a 2001 F250. Very strange. Haven't worried much about it, just never use high beams. But definately curious what is going on here.

6. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

Wondering what the "professional" said about your setup? Also are you running aftermarket HID's for truck headlight?

7. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

Well unfortunately I never went back to ask...at the time the closest boss dealer to me was about an hour n 20 mins away and I didn't care to bring it all the way back there...wish I had at this point...no I don't have any aftermarket hid's

8. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

Well, that makes me think there's some common conclusion with the plow wire harness itself. Anyone want to pop in and lead us in some kinda direction. I can't live without brights!

9. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

Nobody has a clue???

10. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

If you don't have a HI/LOW HID bulb, then you wont have HI Beams. Most guys run low beam only.

11. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

I do have hi/low hid's. 6 post above I mentioned how they worked prior to installing plow harness.