1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Odd rubbing / vibrations from front end?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by groundbreakers, Oct 5, 2008.

1. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

okay her'es my scenario .... just recently i discovered a slight vibration / rubbing sound coming from my truck yes its 4 wheel drive DAKOTA 1998 ..... so i went adhead and bought new rotors and new calipers .... but the noise continues after applying the brakes .... so i raised up the back end and put in the drive to see if the rubbing / vibration noise continued .. not one sound ... so that leads me back to the front ..... and yes the front wheel bearing are brand new installed last november ...... soo im stumped .... CV joints make that hillacious noise ... my bearing didnt make a viberating noise like this sound .. so im stumped ????????
  2. Russ's Repair

Russ's Repair Junior Member
    from 02562

It could be that the female spline end of the cv shaft has stripped out and is riding over the male spline stub shaft coming out of the front differential. Have seen this a number of times on dakotas. easiest way to check is to put truck in 4wd and jack up the left front wheel with truck in park try to spin the wheel and see if it turns and if you can hear it skipping on the splines.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like that's the problem. Had the same noise from my 05 Dakota when I had it.They ended up replace ball joints and tie rods also when they replaced the seals.
  4. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

appreciate the advice .. i found the culprit last weekend ... mmmmmm cheap china wheel bearings .... some how found a way to become unsealed in the course of 10 months ... thank god for AutoZone and warranties .... needless to say PITA to reinstall them .. but no noise now .......... FOR NOW !!