1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Odd Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Cmplt Grnd Pros, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Cmplt Grnd Pros

Cmplt Grnd Pros Junior Member

This may be an odd question, but I am trying to run some numbers for this upcoming season.

I'm looking to hook up my truck with a plow, and I just want to run some numbers before I do. Luckily, I kept a detailed log of my hours worked last year (for a company, in their truck). I plan on sub-contracting for this company and I’m using last year’s numbers (worst case scenario) to figure out my break-even analysis.

I just recently bought a 2007 Chevy 3500 SRW reg Cab Classic, very similar to a 2500HD. My question is, how much gas do you guys run through on a 4 hour shift of plowing?

Thanks!

2. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

It will vary based on the size/weight/capacity of the plow, the weight of the snow, drive time and distance between accounts, etc.

Broad open guess? Half tank of gas for four hours.

3. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

My truck 01 2500 6.0 gasser (not HD) might be close to half a tank if I was really working it. I wouldn't expect any worse than that.

4. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

I agree, half a tank for the heavier blades, less gas for the lighter ones.

doing driveways and parking lots.

5. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Plan on a full tank every 8 hours. It may be less but if you are going to be pushing the numbers that close, then maybe don't do it.

6. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

My old 2004 6.0 gas would use about 3 gallons per hour just scraping up street slush & thin snow cover, babying it ...