1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Odd question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fireboy6413, Dec 11, 2010.

1. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

So here it goes, My local horse farm asked me today for a quote to salt their indoor arena, the problem is the farm was built on a swamp and they get alot of seepage thru the ground, so come winter the stone dust freezes and makes it nearly impossible to rake. I am looking for some suggestions on this one, I think straight salt will be too much on the horses feet. Thanks

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Liquid magic is the way to go for this application. They may still get frozen ground, but it's hold off much longer. I'd really look at Magic 0, not just Mag Cl. You're pretty close if you need Magic I have a guy I use.

3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

They asked you to put down salt

4. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

Yeh they asked for salt, they had a guy doing salt last year, it wasn't an every day thing, just as needed, I said maybe magnesium chloride or something, I feel salt will be too corrosive for animal feet, forest guy, do I need a special setup for this liquid stuff, pm me you number let em know when I can call you,

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  5. leon

leon Senior Member

indoor riding arenas

Having been a past owner of horse flesh and cattle

I can and will offer you what I did with my animals.

This is a huge issue with the animals Hoove Health

and the sanitaton for them that goes along with it.

The cleaning of horse hooves is an physically

intensive business for the horse owner and it takes

a lot of time before and after riding, as you need to

clean hoove with hoof pick very very slowly and with

very low pressure, and inspect the hooves while cleaning

them. This issue maginified when riding in muddy conditions

and especially if the animal is subject to wet stable stalls.

The horse(s) shoes are another issue and you should enquire if the

farrier uses titanium weldong rod which is or was used by gas welding

it to the shoes which was done for me as I had to use the roads at times

when I rode.

To add to this, if they do not use concrete and rubber mats on the floor the

hooves need to be checked every day anyway as a manner of maintaining

hoove health even when using rubber mats and concrete when the animals

are boarded as you are not sure if the people that offer the boarding

service may not do it every day.

I would suggest using more sand and more sand only simply as it is a

traction aid for the animals as a horses frog which is the tender center part of

the hoove will become irritated and inflamed if it is subject to this as Halite or

any chemically derived deicier will grind into the hoove and the wet mud will disolve

it and the Halite or chemically derived deicier will get under the horse shoes of the

animals and no amount of washing wil get rid of it as the metal of the horseshoe will attract it.

Its not to late in the season to suggest that they install a shallow french drain around this area or

a using a ditcher with 4 inch pipe to a drywell for it, and this would stop the issue with water in

the riding area and the ice forever.

I am not trying stop you from doing, but I am only adding my advise as a past owner of horses.

The more sand you add the better the drainage and the drier the hooves and doing this will work well

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Why second guess them if they where having it done last year?

Why do you think salt would be to "corrosive"?

7. cretebaby

Do you bother to read before you haul off typing?

The problem is frozen ground not ice. Your wonder sand is going to do nothing.

8. leon

leon Senior Member

riding arena

I did read the post;

If they are excercising their horses in frozen ground with ice cover they are irresponsible horse owners; you never move horse flesh or cattle on iced over ground as its the quickest way to have a horse or cow with a broken hip and to have it put down.

9. cretebaby

You have removed all doubt.

10. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

You bet. I guess all the horses and cattle around here that stay in pasture all winter will be dead by spring because the ground freezes and gets some ice on it.:rolleyes:

If they want salt, just give them salt and charge accordingly. If they don't know what's best for animal health, then that's their problem and they shouldn't be taking care of them. I can't imagine salt would harm the animals though if they are taken care of properly.