1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Odd problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by drivewaydoctor, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Running an older Isarmatic plow. Last snow storm half way through my route the blade started going up and down really slow. Battery is fully charged when its happening. Alternator is brand new 130amp and the hydrolic motor is brand new.

Any suggestions? Cold somehow affecting it?

2. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

check your filter. i had a old cable pump did the same thing it was full of crudd.

3. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

yup. or the connections. had both problems with mine last year. NEVER buy a new truck in December and expect to plow with it in the same winter. god that was a nightmare.

4. Hey guys,

Had the truck in the shop today and the mechanic took at a look at the plow. He removed the pump and turned the relief valve 1/4 turn in. This gave the plow a little more power. When I sit on the blade to simulate the weight of snow it cant even lift off the ground. Prior to adjusting that relief valve on the side of the internal pump it couldn't even lift the blade if I was leaning on it.

All of the connections seem fine and the filter is clean as a whistle.

Any other suggestions?

We did notice I'm leaking fluid at the lift ram. Seems fluid is coming out between the packing nut and the ram itself. Could this be causing a pressure problem maybe?

5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

is the cable making full travel . mine been leaking for 3 years still works like a champ

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And that did not tell you anything?:confused: Sound like you have a bad pump. What is your pump pressure?

7. I'm not sure. That is the next thing we are going to check. I simply didn't have time to wait around anymore. I had to get ready for the 30cm we're getting right now.

Of course it didn't tell me anything. I just drive the plows I don't fix them. LOL
    My mechanic isn't a "plow mechanic" either. He has done lots of work on plows but I think I'm going to need to take it to a plow shop.

8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i second basher. sounds like bad pump. turn it up another 1/4 turn and see what happens.