1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Odd problem w/meyer pump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sno-mover, Feb 5, 2002.

1. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Today I noticed a problem with my meyer pump (E-47). When I hit the lever "up", the plow turns to the left slightly, each time I go up it turns a little bit. If I hit the lever up a bunch of times fast it will turn to the left a little faster. Something else I noticed, If I angle the plow to the right, when I let go of the lever it stops hard, it shakes the whole truck, and it stops smooth to the left.

Im thinking something internally is leaking, but im not sure, its not real bad now but im sure it will get worse.

Thanks for helping
  2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

You have a problem with the B-Valve (red wire). Check to make sure it has magnetism at the coil. If it doesn't replace the coil, if it does, pull the valve & clean it, check the O-rings & try again. If that doesn't work, replace it, and you may need to replace the fluid while you're at it.
  3. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a brand new E-60 that does the same thing and was told thats the way its built. The blade moves to the left when joged up because there is no valve to hold it in place. The valve is on the right side and bangs hard when stoped because of the high pressure in the pump. I had the same concern as you and went to the dealer for answers and that is what I was told. The dealer checked my oil level and found that my oil got contaminated with water some how just sitting over the summer. He flushed it all out and had to replace a screen on one valve because it was flat. Said it must have froze. Still works the same with new oil.

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I've had\have a few E-60's over the years & do not have this problem, except the times I needed to replace that valve. Try it. I can't believe the brand new E-60's would be built with that problem, after years of building them without that problem. Plenty of threads here that mention the fact that moisture will get into your system during the year, and because of that those threads recommended changing the oil before AND after each plow season. You learned that one the hard way, as did many of us. ;)
  5. Lou

Lou Member

Have had an E-60 since late '94. I never take the pump off the truck unless I have too. Keeps that fluid splashing around.

I add fluid as necessary; E-60's are designed to leak. Drained the fluid from the pump once...and that was to replace the ram seal.

I use the pump to lift and move some heavy items that I can't do by myself thru out the year. Never had any water or rust.

Maybe the secret is to use the pump a little thruout the year.

Maybe I'm just lucky or stupid (boy what a setup)