1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Odd noise" from cab roof/ceiling

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Maine_Train, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

I rejoined the ranks of Chevy owners Friday afternoon when I picked up my '04 Silverado 1500. I've had Fisher plows on three previous vehicles, but this is my first time with a Minute Mount. (MM2, actually, for a 7½' RD plow. First time I've seen a "FishStik," too.)

Anyway, I've noticed that sometimes when going along at highway speeds (50+), I can hear a random "clicking" sound that seems to come from around the center of the cab ceiling. I kinda thought it might be something like pebbles or sand from the roadway being blown up over the plow blade and bouncing off the roof.
    So far, no cracks, no leaks, no paint flaking off, but I figured I'd toss it out there and see who takes a shot at it. :D

My new Bowtie Buggy:
    [​IMG]

2. HotRod55

HotRod55 Junior Member

Does it do it when the plow is off? Because when i worked at a GM dealership in the body shop we had people come in and complain about the same thing. But it was only after they installed a bugshield on their truck. So in your case if it is when the plow is on I know something you can try to do to fix it.

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

There's some not so rigid metal roof supports above your headliner.If you have a ceiling console you might be able to find it.

4. Maine_Train

Yeah, I haven't had the plow off since I got it. We didn't get much snow from the latest storm, but I did take a swipe at my driveway this afternoon.

No overhead console in mine, so I guess I'll get some practice dismounting and remounting the MM2 before the next storm, and see if it still does it without the blade in place.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Hey, before I forget, the salesman suggested putting a block under the A-frame after detaching it, even with the jack down. Her Wifeliness (who used to work for Fisher) says you don't have to do that, because of the integral jack. What do you usually do? I'm kinda partial to redundancy when it might involve safety, so I might add some wood or cinder blocks just to irritate her. :jester:

5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicCould be mice up there, tapping the liner cuz they want you to slow down.:jester:

6. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

I have a wierd noise that comes from around my passenger dash or roof. I think it is the antenna doing something.
    Both my 05 and 09 have it.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The jack stand is more than adequate to support the plow. You might want to put a block of wood under the jack if the ground is going to thaw and refreeze.

Let me know if you have trouble mounting/dismounting. I can meet you somewhere.

Where did you buy the truck?

8. 4speed

4speed Member

That noise is the windshield gasket. It drove me nuts when I first put my plow on! If you search it I think there were some suggestions to reduce the noise but It won't harm anything.

9. Maine_Train

When I first noticed it, I felt the headliner to see if there might be something (cue Stephen King, laughing maniacally) up there. Nothing was stirring, not even . . .
    I've seen what happens when them meeces tear up an underhood blanket and build a nest in the air cleaner or someplace. I hope they've already found their winter abodes, and they'll stay the hell out of my truck. :mad:

10. Maine_Train

Okay, thanks. I like that idea

WIZcasset; Lester Morse. Other than the CD player and the plow package, it's nothing fancy (manual windows, manual most everything), but I'm pretty tickled with it so far.

11. Maine_Train

Ah ha! Okay, it seemed to be from directly overhead, about in the center of the roof, but it just might have been from the windshield. At first I thought it was sand or whatever hitting the windshield, but I couldn't see anything moving, so I figured it was going high enough to miss the windshield but was hitting that front slope of the roof.
    I guess I'll just hafta crank the radio loud enough so I won't hear it anymore. :D
    Thanks.

"That won't drive me nuts. Besides, it wouldn't be a drive, it'd just be a short putt." :jester:

12. augerandblade

Ive got some trucks parked for the winter. What Im trying now is to spray rust proofing gel on top the all the spots under the hood etc that they like to park their heinies and eat and defecate over my engine and chew threw wires etc. I hate em so much , sometimes I feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack.tymusic

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Run a length of duct tape around the windshield covering the molding surrounding it and go for a spin. I think you'll discover the notice stops.

14. Maine_Train

I wouldn't think the antenna mount on the '09 would have loosened up already, but could it be something like that?

The antenna on my Outback is on such an angle that when it's fully extended, the tip of it will sometimes hit the front of the roof rack when going over bumpy roads.. That was kinda annoyin', but I figured it out pretty quickly.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Try some dryer sheets under the hood, in the air cleaner, etc. They are very popular in the RV crowd and seem to work well.

16. augerandblade

Whats in the sheets that they dont like???????????? (Sorry to change the topic, but gotta know)tymusic

17. Maine_Train

Don't be out there packing explosives into the trucks to try and get the rodents. Or if you do, at least videotape it. :D

18. Maine_Train

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that before I pull the plow off. :salute:

"Duct tape, the Handyman's Secret Weapon!" :cool:

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I guess there is something they smell that repels them.

20. Maine_Train

Hey, go for it. I consider a day wasted unless I learn something new. So far, today's been a pretty good day, and I haven't even left my own yard. ;)