1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Odd Fisher joystick problem (plow noob)

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by areoseek, Mar 12, 2013.

1. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

Looking into buying a plow truck for next season, Found one at a buy here, pay here lot. 86 F250, with an 8ft fisher plow. I test drove it today, the plow raises and lowers perfectly, but when i tried to angle it, I could not physically move the joystick into the "angle left" or "angle right" positions. It would move up and down fine, but i could not move left or right. IT felt as if the joystick were "locked" from moving to the sides. The plow does have Angling capability. and the hyd system is functioning. I've never owned a plow before, i don't know what model it is, and the dealer was little help. This is the only picture i took if it helps at all. Thanks, -Devin

Sorry this is my first post, but This is blowing my mind as i could not find this replicated anywhere online.

Capture.PNG

2. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher Speed cast, were all hyrdo lines hooked up to the plow?

3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

the valve was probaly siezed up

4. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

I didnt even check to see if they were hooked up now that i think about it. Would it be an easy fix if it was seized? Going back to test drive thursday, ill take video.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

so the joystick in your pciture cannot phyisically be moved into the angle left or right position?

if thats the case, i bet it is a seized cable. there are 2 cables that run from the joystick to the valve body which is likely located under the hood. one cable controls up/down, the other controls left/right. i bet the left/right cable is seized.

disconnect the left/right cable from the valve body. does the joystick go into the left/right position now? have some watch the cable end as you work the joystick. any movement? if not, cable is more than likely seized.

now disconnect it at the joystick end. does joystick move into left/right position now? with cable entirely removed, you should now be able to move the cable end back and forth within the cable insulation easily by hand if the cable is good. if it is locked up, then the cable is bad.

this is likely your problem. check it out. get a new cable if it is seized.

6. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

thanks for the help guys, ill go down to the car lot after work and look at the cable. -devin

7. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

exactly as you described...

so is it a seized cable? did you disconnect it?

9. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

Can't until the sale is final and i get it home. Waiting on my insurance company then he'll sign the papers.

10. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

Replaced the cable that liked from the stick to the pump. Fixed the issue no problem. Thank you guys a bunch for the help.