1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Odd Cooling problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Arrow, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Arrow

Arrow Junior Member

95 1/2 ton Chevy 4x4 350. A few months ago I had to change out my water pump. After I did I noticed that the temp will go from about 190 to 260 then back down to 90 again. all in about 2 minites. I took out the thermostat and the problem went away. I got a new thermonstat and have the same problem. Am I missing something or did i just get 2 bad thermostats. Could it have something to do with the fan clutch? Any other ideas? It does not seem to be getting hot, no motor drag or overheating smell.
  2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

It sounds like you have an air bubble in the system. You may have to take it to a shop to get the system blead..Rob
  3. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Is the thermostat in backward maybe?? That would cause it to overheat like that.

Just a thought,
    Mark K
  4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

It sound like air to me. Your radiator must be completely full with plenty in the over flow container. I fill radiator full then start engine and continue to fill until it starts to warm then cap system and put several inches into the over flow run truck until thermo opens then shut down and let it cool. Then check levels again and repeat if needed...Chuck
  5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Did the replacement pump have the same size/shape impeller mounted to it as the one you removed? A pump with a higher flow may require a high flow thermostat.
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

does the thermostat you have have a small hole drilled into it to let air/water alwasy sneak buy? I always use robert shaw stuff. Throw the due in a pot of water and crank up the heat with a thermometer there if your unsure of it.
  7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

You did get the correct rotation water pump, right?

Serpentine trucks rotate opposite from v-belt trucks.

You never know. :confused: