1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OD light flashing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mylawn03, Dec 14, 2003.

1. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

:confused: I have a 95' F-150 w/ 7 1/2' sno-way. I pulled the fuse for the chime because there was a short somewhere and it would not stop "chiming". However, the fuse cover indicated that that fuse also protects the speedometer. After driving a few minutes, the OD light began flashing. I understand there is a speed answer associated with the Auto. transmission... Is the light flashing because of the missing fuse or is my trans about to go?

Thanks guys for any help you can give!

2. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

whoops! I accidentally typed 'answer' rather than 'sensor'.. please excuse my type-o

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same problem with one of my Ford's. It is the Torque converter starting to fail. The flashing OD light is a warning to you to get the problem fixed as soon as possible. If you wait much longer, out of nowhere the trans will shift incredibly fast and hard. It will seem like the torque converter is locked up all the time and will eventually do some serious damage to the rest of the trans.

4. rhetor

rhetor Junior Member

I removed the chime from my truck simply because it was too annoying. It's a gray plastic box under the middle of the dash, slightly driver's side. There is a harness you can unplug from it and remove the chimer.

5. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

od light

Two years ago I experiecced the OD light flashing while plowing. I overheated my torgue converter!:cry:

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Tranny light

When those new overdrive transmissions came out (94) they had all kinds of trouble with them. The blinking light is a tranny fault light. It should be shifting hard enough to rattle your teeth soon. An ambulance I used to drive would do it each time it rained hard.
    Another much newer one would have a delay in shifting into reverse, this was real annoying! ( sitting there BEAP BEAP BEAP till it shifted)
    The transmission is electronic control so you might luck out and it's an external problem / connection. Try to find an honest tranny shop the big chains see that plow mount and right away they tell you the tranny is toast cause they know you need the truck!
    I wish you luck. I will stick with my Ford C-6 I have never had one die under me unlike the new overdrive transmissions.

7. hoagie

hoagie Member

Simple way to find the problem... put the fuse back in and see if the flashing stops.

Also...If your speedo stopped working when the fuse was pulled, your tranny is not about to go

If the speed sensor in the pumpkin has no juice the OD light will flash and set a code. If the speedo works fine... your tranny may have problems.

8. rhetor

rhetor Junior Member

correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't the speedo pickups in the rear diffs on these trucks? is that just manual? or maybe i have no idea what i'm talking about..

9. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

Check to see if the truck is equipt with a Transmission Speed Sensor. I had this problem with ford van I have. After 2 transmissions, I came to find out that the speed sensor was bad and not the transmissions.

10. mpflood

mpflood Member

welcome

to the world of e4-od trannys
    Never again for me:realmad:

11. hoagie

hoagie Member

Yes speed sensor is in the top of the rear diff (I called it the pumpkin).

This sounds like a very simple fuse problem...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2003
  12. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

A bad speed sensor do many strange things to a tranny.

13. Check your tranny fluid too. i have a 92 f-250 and if the tranny fluid gets low then the OD light starts blinking.

14. MickiRig1

Tranny Light

I talked to out Ford Ambulance mechanic today about your problem. He said it could just need connections checked and the wiring. Or computer threw a fault or is having problems may need fluid changed or low.
    That e40d comes from Ford in a nice plastic clam shell shipping case-humm think they rebuild a few? He keeps one (rebuilt) on had all the time for an 80 Truck fleet.

15. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

I had a problem with my 94 stalling when I put it in revers or 1st. No error codes or anything. I gave it a full tune up and a bunch of other stuff. It was real odd, when I put it in reverse the volt meter would drop, and the engine would die. No one knew what was wrong, not even the ford garage. Asked around on the i-net a bit and someone said that the trans filter probably dropped. dropped the huge friggin trans pan and the filter was still in place, doesn't look like it is possible for it to drop.... New filter, fresh fluid, truck is as good as new...

16. MickiRig1

Cool , Like I tell the wife it just needed adjustment.

17. Henry

Henry Member

Did you notice if the speedo is working since you pulled the fuse. If not, then that could be why the light is flashing. I recently had a problem with the speed sensor that caused the speedo to stop working. The OD, ABS and check eng. light were all on/flashing.

18. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Thanks guys for all your help! As it turns out, the light was flashing because the fuse was pulled, as I suspected, but I'm taking my truck in on Tuesday to have the trans. fluid and filter changed just to be sure. Thanks again! :waving:

19. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

My light started flashing about 2 mos. after I bought my truck.....it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I saw on here that the tranny was telling me that it was shot. Last storm we had I snapped the 4X4 shaft going into the transfer case, then the tranny started acting real weird, kick up a gear then down, then up...and so on. I unloaded that truck for $500 less than what I paid for it and it made me thousands in the time I had it......still hated to see it go though..:(

Chris

20. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

You guys have to remember one thing, these trucks arent dozers!!!